PDA

View Full Version : Increased my lighting by 30+%

Agu
12/18/2002, 09:01 PM
I picked up one of the 13w pc desklamps from WalMart, (get the replacement bulb, stock bulb is only 2700k, and looks ugly) and retrofitted it into my hood of the 6.5 gallon nano. Way better than the All Glass 10 w PC bulb !! The light spreads much better and appears much brighter. I even get a little bit of glitter line. I suspect that because it's a single U instead of a doubleUU more light actually gets into the tank. Wish I had known about the WalMart PC's before I spent the $ on the All Glass bulb :( .

Agu

Ewan
12/19/2002, 01:46 PM
I saw those.... thought I could maybe work them into my setup over the sump or something.

The replacement lamp is very inexpensive. I hadn't even wanted one of those fixtures until I saw the 6500K bulb for that price! If only I could talk walmart into stocking actinics. :D

Any pics?

E.

lizbeth
12/19/2002, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Ewan
[B]
The replacement lamp is very inexpensive. I hadn't even wanted one of those fixtures until I saw the 6500K bulb for that price! If only I could talk walmart into stocking actinics. :D

Or some 50/50's. 6500K is way to yellow for my eyes. So far my wally light is chugging along on a timer just fine.

mswt5
12/19/2002, 11:55 PM
Did you get the 6500K bulb at walmart too???
How much was the desk lamp?.....And the 6500K bulb??

Nishant3789
12/20/2002, 06:50 PM
yea actually i just picked up one of them too yesday. its not hte clamp on one im talkinga bout the desklamp thats blue in colour. it looks great btw! im going to run it on my fuge i think. cost is as follows

$9.95---- Desklamp

$3.95---- 6400K Bulb

total with tax:

about 16 bux.

I think we are being robbed by hellolights.com i mean gosh 20 dollars for a retro? even if u wanted hte 50/50 bulb buy the fixture from wally and the bulb from hellolights.com which is mabe 6 bux tops i think. thatd be round maybe 18 bux total.

i think we have been robbed.
nishant

Ewan
12/20/2002, 11:43 PM
Naah...

To be fair, hellolights has decent prices. Their MH prices are very tough to beat. Not to mention replacement bulb prices.

Their replacement bulb is $5.95

Their retrofit kit is $22 with your choice of bulb. It's not like you can get an actinic bulb at walmart.

I think the price is excellent given the amount of retrofits they sell. They also have top-notch service. They are considered an asset to the nano-reefing community. To say we have been robbed is a little bit much.

Pros: No shipping, easy DIY project, I can go get the parts 24 hours a day.

Cons: I have to go to Walmart to get it. This means wading through rednecks and standing in line anywhere up to a half-hour :D

E.

Agu
12/21/2002, 07:29 PM
Walmart probably sells more fixtures in a week than HelloLights sells in a year, and therefore I suspect their costs per unit are a lot lower. Besides, try to get advice on DIY aquarium lighting at Walmart :eek1: .

Agu

mswt5
12/22/2002, 01:35 PM
Why is that 6400K bulb so blue in color??.....maybe that was just my eyes looking at it in that Walmart light.....How does it look over the tank??

Nishant3789
12/22/2002, 05:01 PM
good point it does seem very blue on the tank.... almost like a 10000k bulb... hmm i dunno. btw yea ure right but still its amazing how much lfs will jack up prices on stuff
nishant