PDA

View Full Version : Nano care questions

mrjinkx
12/18/2002, 02:47 PM
A few ?'s for the experienced nano reefers. Here is the scenario, I have been into the salt water thing for about 10 months with my 18 gallon tall. A small problem occured a few months back and everything died. Just this past Saturday I finally was able to restocked with a few pieces of coral, 8 snails, and 7 crabs based on the improved water quality. I added a patch of green stiped shrooms, a bubble, a small 3' tall piece of capnella, and some green star polyps. Everything seems happy except the polyps have yet to come out and it has been 3 days.
Currently I am doing weekly water changes, while dosing Seachem calcium/strontium mix and alkalinity buffer. The temp is kept between 78 and 80 degrees and the light on top is a 55 watt JBJ power compact running roughly 10 hours a day. Nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia are all zero, while ph is 8.2, and the calcium is 450ppm.
My ?'s are how many hours should I have my timer set for and should I be adding anything else such as iodine. And if so is ticture of iodine from the drug store good enough and how much. Also, if anyone has any other tips I am all ears.

Playfair
12/18/2002, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by mrjinkx
A small problem occured a few months back and everything died.
Sounds like this was a little bigger than a "small" problem?
Do you understand what happened? Are you preventing it or something similar from re-occuring?

Anyway, 11-12 hours is fine for a lighting cycle.
Drop those other additives (except for calcium and alkalinity, to which I recommend Bionic); weekly water changes and feeding take care of everything else.

Agu
12/18/2002, 10:17 PM
I agree with Playfair, kinda :rolleyes: . Skip any additives and do a 10% to 15% water change every other week, that's two to three gallons twice a month. it's cheaper than buying additives and will keep your tank parameters in line.

Agu

gregmoeck
12/19/2002, 03:50 AM
I am starting to think additives are not needed in a nano myself if water changes are done.

Your green star polyps are telling you something may not be right. The mushrooms would actually tell you the same thing too so if they are not, then perhaps the stars are just getting used to everything.

It seems as if you added a lot of coral at one time. Perhaps just let the tank chill for 3 days, dont add anything. Sounds like you have a great tank.

mrjinkx
12/19/2002, 10:36 AM
thanks for the help guys

I still have not been able to determine the culprit of my disaster, however it has happened and is water under the bridge. I considered it an expensive learning experience and have stepped up my care routine.

As with the star polyps, I hope they are just getting used to the new tank.:smokin: