PDA

View Full Version : Caribbean cruise next week, need opinions!

seasquirt
12/18/2002, 12:26 PM
Hi everybody! I'm going on a cruise next week with stops in Key West, Costa Maya, Cozumel, and Grand Cayman. I'm having some trouble deciding which shore excursions to take, and maybe someone can share some experience or advice... oh, just so you know, I am NOT certified for scuba, so that isn't one of the options.

OK, in Costa Maya (Mexico) I can either snorkel from the shore or from a boat (which I presume goes farther offshore. Has anyone snorkeled there? Is it worth it, or should I go tear through the jungle on a dune buggy instead? :D

In Cozumel, I can go snorkeling from the beach at Dzul Ha, do a SNUBA excursion at Dzul-Ha, or go on the Atlantis submersible near Chankanaab (I think there are between 10 and 20 sightseers in the submersible, plus the pilot and co-pilot). Has anyone here done SNUBA? Is it better or worse than snorkeling? (I kind of like the idea that I won't have to keep popping out of the water to make sure I won't drift into the hull of the boat, or into anything else.)

In Grand Cayman, I can either go snorkeling at Stingray City, or go on a "Seamobile" excursion. The brochure says the Seamobile is a two-person submersible that is piloted by a scuba diver who is outside the vehicle (but talks to you through a radio and gives the tour). This is the tough one. The Seamobile sounds really neat, but I've been so psyched about seeing the stingrays.

Argh! Can't decide! (I know, I wish all of my decisions in life had such attractive options.) I appreciate any responses...

kanankeban
12/18/2002, 02:00 PM
You don´t want to miss Palancar in Cozumel, you can do a PADI discovery dive...you can go as far as 40 feet, there is other dive spectacular dive site, don´t remember the name, have to check in my log book, its a drift dive, 1 hour of flying through a wall reef, really awesome....

seasquirt
12/20/2002, 09:38 AM
OK, I think I am going to book a "Discover SCUBA" class/dive with Eagle Ray Divers in Cozumel... anyone with experience with this company?

I also talked to my uncle about diving in Cozumel; he said the currents around there are pretty strong. Would you agree? Will it be a problem for a first-time diver? (I am a decent swimmer and am not physically disabled.)

Tderasa
12/20/2002, 11:42 AM
Cozumel is almost all drift diving.........lots of current. Was there few years ago. Great reef. Chankanaab is good dive for beginners. My wife had her first certified dives there.

billsreef
12/20/2002, 04:10 PM
Currents can be very strong and unpredicable. While drift diving can be quite enjoyable it can be challenging. Even experienced divers have had those currents get the best of them and ended up drowned. Not sure it's something I would recomend for a begginer SCUBA diver. The Caymans or the Keys would be the best place to get the feet wet with SCUBA. The Caymans in particular are a favorite of mine. Good visibility, great marine life and the currents are diver friendly. I've even had my daughter (at 8 years old) out snorkeling in over 60 feet of water on the crest of the wall in the Caymans. Not something I would do in Cozumel.

kanankeban
12/20/2002, 04:53 PM
I did a very enjoyable dive....don`t know the name of the two spots, one was a wreck dive and other in a reef along the beach...i think is really good for begginers 0 current, you can stay put in the sand besides the rocks and watch all the critters do their things....the spots are located in front of "Paradisus Riviera Maya" in Puerto Morelos 30 minutes from Cozumel, although if you are arriving at cosumel, you have to cruise by ferri. I`m shure you can find something easy to dive in cozumel, there are lots of dive shops in cozumel.

Corvettes&Fish
12/20/2002, 07:17 PM
When I was in Grand Cayman they offered something called swim with the rays. It was a snorkling outing where they would take you out into a harbor where the rays hung out. The rays have ajusted to the people and will come right up to you. They swim between your legs(makes many people jump), let you touch them and will even let U hold them if U do it right. So watch the people and the rays interact for 5 minutes and then swim away from the boat and get a better look at what is actually going on and the wildlife that avoids the whole shinanigan(SuperTroopers). Dont wear anything reflective I saw a few cudas when I was there. Its not common to be mistaken for a fish but taking off reflective items is easier and better then the alternative.

IMO it was a good time.

gregmoeck
12/29/2002, 06:49 AM
Cancel the trip. Cruise ships destruct the enviroment and destroy reefs and islands.

seasquirt
12/31/2002, 10:20 AM
Well, I got back on Sunday and I had a blast! I ended up staying dry in Costa Maya, but I did see a huge manta ray from the docks. In Cozumel it was pretty windy, so I opted for a tour of the coral reef in a small submersible. In Grand Cayman, I had signed up to go snorkeling at Stingray City, but it got cancelled because of the wind... I ended up snorkeling at "Cheeseburger Reef" instead. I was blown away... the snorkeling was much better than either of the places I saw in the Keys. (I think I just went to lousy snorkeling spots in the Keys, though - I haven't been to Pennekamp yet. Just near the Sombrero Reef lighthouse buoy and somewhere off Key West.) Saw tons of sergeant majors, yellowtail snappers, and Bermuda chubs, and those were just the fish that got close to me. Also saw rock beauties, blue chomis, swarms of blue tangs, parrotfish, French angels and gray angels, royal grammas, tarpon, and even some baby 'cudas. I was bummed because I didn't get to frolick with the stingrays, but the reef made up for it!

billsreef
01/01/2003, 08:34 AM
Glad to hear you had a good time :D

The Caymans are one of my favorite destinations. I'm not sure which one is "Cheese burger reef", but being on the typically tight time schedule of a cruise I imagine it was one of the ones close to the harbour. Believe it or not there is even better diving and snorkeling on the North side of the Island. And the Brac and Little Cayman simply are Paradise :D