PDA

View Full Version : collection tips

mfranklin
12/16/2002, 01:19 PM
I live in south Florida and have attempted to collect some things on my own mainly stationary things such as feather dusters and so forth but could use some suggestions on catching fish.

I have a hand held net but i have not been succesful. are there any tricks or would I be better off investing in a slurp gun?

are there any brand names I should look for?

Brimarbio
12/16/2002, 02:41 PM
Patients, patients and more patients. I don't like slurp guns, just me, soI use nets, either the ones with clear plastic sidesand mesh bottom or my fav. just a strait fishing net. If it's doable, I prefer to snorkle as you can be much more stealthy (noise wise) and basically just moove very very slowly till the last second. Practice makes perfect as with anything else though. Best of luck,
Brian

ranaman
12/16/2002, 06:47 PM
Better than buying a slurp gun I found a dive flag that attached to an inner tube. I found a laundry basket that fit and had very small gaps so I had a live well and aplace to throw gear. I carried a couple different nets but had one favorite. You might try using different net styles and find what works for you. Remember the idea is to herd the fish into the net with your hand. Hi-hats and Beau Gregories are good to practice on. You don't have to take them home just catch and release.Most reef fish follow paths so the idea is to get the fish to swim away from you into the net. It has been 20 years since I have collected my own fish but the thrill of netting a french angel Iwill always remember. Then there was that queen angel off the sea wall of the channel 2 bridge. A beautiful 4" fish with the crown just showing. Three times Iplayed the I'm not trying to catch you while the fish took me around the sea wall and down into the channel. It got to pile of rocks turned around and looked at me as if to say this is where YOU have to go back to the surface for air, and she was right. Sometimes the fish you don't catch gives you the best memories.