PDA

View Full Version : What is this creature?

Rick O
01/19/2001, 02:43 PM
Hi Dr. Ron,

The best way for me to describe this animal is that it looks like a sweeper tentacle with hair. I first noticed it about a week ago and I only see it by using a flashlight after the lights have been off for a while. The part I can see extends to about 5 inches and comes from a crevace in the LR. It's always in the same location and retracts when the light hits it. It appears to be kinda translucent white. It's body is very narrow, no more than 1/16" thick. The hair on the first few inches is about 3/16" long and the hair closer to the end is about 1/16" long.

My biggest concern is weather this animal will harm any of my corals, fish, or snails. Right now it is in a rock that would be easy to remove.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. This forum is a great idea.

TIA, Rick

rshimek
01/19/2001, 03:19 PM
Rick,

Well, I don't think I can pin this down with any certainty with out a photo. My suspicion is that it may be the arm of a brittle star, but that is a really iffy guess.

Until or if you can get a picture, I am dead in the water on this one.

Rick O
01/19/2001, 04:25 PM
Getting a photo will be tricky since I have to do it at night under flashlight power but I'll give it try tonight.

Thanks, Rick

rshimek
01/20/2001, 01:22 PM
Rick,

Any luck?

Rick O
01/20/2001, 05:11 PM
Dr. Ron,

I wasn't able to get a picture that was clear enough to ID the critter. I'll keep trying.

Thanks, Rick

rshimek
01/20/2001, 05:32 PM
I'll be here...