PDA

View Full Version : Taxonomy question

DeepBlue
01/19/2001, 10:17 AM
Good Day Dr. Shimek,

My friend and I are attempting to identify a specie of red algae Genus Gracilaria.

I thought it might be Gracilaria tikvahiae, however, the former floats free in the water column and does not holdfast to substrate or rock.
The specimen my friend has looks similar (red, wire-like, no 'leaves') but is smaller and finer and attaches very strongly to rocks. It does not float well.

I've been looking around on various sites but coming up dry.
Any thoughts or links to info?

Thanks for your time.
Regards,
Rick

rshimek
01/19/2001, 10:30 AM
Rick,

I still have nightmares about red algal taxonomy generated by my first course in advanced algology about 30 years ago. As a result, I have made specific and determined efforts not to revist that subject unless: 1) forced to at the point of a gun, or 2) paid outrageous amounts of money to do so.

I know several folks who could help with temperate reds, but I am afraid that I can't help much with tropical ones.

You might do a search using the keywords: Rhodophyta, red algae, Littler (a husband and wife (Mark and Diane, if memory serves) team of algologists specializing in tropical reds, I think). This might get you at least to a point where you can find some other links.

Sorry.

DeepBlue
01/19/2001, 11:57 AM
Dr. Shimek,

Thank you for the prompt response!

My question was precipitated more by a 'want' than a 'need' to know more, so that's ok.

However, I do appreciate the 'finger-in-the-right-direction' over 'two-hands-in-the-air' anytime.
Well, it's off to the search engines!

Thank you again..
Rick