PDA

View Full Version : Club direction

edsiajb
12/14/2002, 11:03 PM
OK...we have started this club and I think it is truly the start of a good thing. We now have two meetings (or get-togethers) behind us and I enjoyed both. So far, it has been really informal and I would like to keep it that way. We need to determine where we go from here.

I would like to start with a list of items or topics for discussion among our members or potential members. If you think of something else that needs to be discussed please add it to the thread. If you have any ideas and or input please reply. Here goes.

1. Meeting frequency. I feel that at this stage of the game we would probably do well meeting every other month. Ideas?

2. Meeting location. It looks like we are going to quickly outgrow Tien's shop. We could meet at a nearby location and then go buy to "see the latest" or we could alternate through members’ homes. Ideas?

3. Programs. We would all benefit from a presentation of a relative topic. If it is something you are already keen on, maybe you could add something. I like the "10 minute talk" format...this way you can give just enough info for many topics, answer questions and go longer if you want. Ideas?

4. Officers. Maybe we should start with nominations. (I personally cannot accept an office at this time but will continue at least temporarily with the responsibility of the web site). What we basically need in officers is someone to take the lead and probably a backup (Pres, and VP?). We could probably benefit from a secretary and after we start with dues, a treasurer. Ideas?

5. Dues. I think this should be kept to a minimum but we will need at least some operating cash. I covered the cost of the www.alabamareefers.org domain name registration but it will have to be renewed. There surely will be other expenses to come along. Maybe we could start with $15 to 20 per year with a half-price deal for students. BTW...the Atlanta club is about two years old and has just started charging dues. Ideas?

6. Frag trades. This is probably going to be one of my favorite things and I think this could belong to the VP. It will need to be organized and I would like a page on our site with a list of who grows frags for trading and what they have up for grabs. Ideas?

6. Sponsors. Obviously, we already have one. We need to enlist others for help down the road. Ideas?

7. Trips. We should begin to plan at least a trip per year. Captive Bred Corals in Chattanooga would be a logical first choice. They are a large coral facility and have already hosted the Atlanta club. Ideas?

8. Order pooling. We probably will just need a notification method for this. If someone is ordering, you could notify the group and see if someone else want to split the shipping or pool an order to meet a minimur requirment. This could be really helpful. Ideas?

I sure I have left items out...ya'll chip in with your input. The greatest thing about this club is that it can be whatever the members want it to be.

edsiajb
12/15/2002, 10:26 AM
9. Web Site. We obviously need some content to make it interesting. Maybe someone could write a short article about our club and the things we are doing and going to be doing. Maybe it would be good to have a short blurp about our last meeting and what we will cover in the next meeting. Also, we could add info about helpful club sponsors. What else would help? Ideas?

reeferaddict
12/15/2002, 11:31 PM
I like the informal direction the clb has taken thus far, and although I like meeting in the store, I can never leave w/o buying somthing:rolleyes: And I think we may out grow it;)

I regretedly don't have the time to be too active in club formalities, so i probably won't make many of the trips and such.
But i am very happy to know that there are a group of active reefaddicts close by, and its good to have people around in case of emergencies and for trading and questions and all.:p

I feel we should think of putting off dues until we gather more members and begin to organize speakers and other costly events.

As for the website, that is completely whom ever wishes to maintain it. it would be nice, but I think we could get by posting things here. Maybe a website would reach others who could have somehow not heard of RC:D
I think we should start an ongoing thread about who has what frags to trade so we can al know what each other has to offer.

Everything seems so far so good to me

Keep on Reefin'

Legion
12/16/2002, 01:03 AM
I have a few ideas to go along with what you have stated Jonathan, and some other things that might be helpfull to,,let me over the next couple days refine ( enough to make sense to people other than me ) my thoughts and will post them.

It does seem to be going in the right direction for such a new club.:)

Icepic
12/16/2002, 12:53 PM
just a quick thought on like meeting places

thou meeting in the store are nice an all

but you never want to wair out your welcome

that why traveling around a bit would be nice to see other tanks and what they are do with them ..

it give every one more idea on what to do in there tanks ..

and meeting like in the resturants like ryans and places that have confrence area ,,, so that you can bring the family ..

benifit to this is you can get the spouse in volved some how more money get spent on the hobby

like the wife has taken offer caring for my two panther groupers , she named gomez and pugsly

so out of the two tanks those are the only fish that have names .. :)

just some thoughts

biomanjcs72
12/16/2002, 02:42 PM
I'm still interested and will make it to a meeting, I promise, Hopefully, After 1st of year, I'll have more money to "sink" back into the tank-.

Beyond that, I have no comments on how to organize the club beyond that I'll happily donate my house for a meeting place-

-John-

edsiajb
12/16/2002, 03:04 PM
Biomanjcs72,
Thanks for the offer of your house...we will probably take you up on it if we decide to move the meeting around each time. I think this is a good idea and it is what the Atlanta club is doing. Maybe we could do this every other meeting and meet at a restaurant for the meetings in between.

edsiajb
12/27/2002, 11:44 PM
Bump