PDA

View Full Version : marine invert zoology and reef ecology.

Ecoli
01/18/2001, 10:16 PM
Dr Shimek.

My son is a senior in high school, and as one of his elective science classes. He has an open curriculum. Basically he has to decide what he wants to learn and pick an area to become an expert in. And as we are both interested in reefs. He decided he wanted to become an expert in inverts, coral reef ecology. He has to purchase at least one text book, and three other specialty books. I was curios if you could recomend any text books on introductory marine invert zoology, he is mainly interested in the biology of corals. And if you are aware of any other interesting books that he could use to establish his background, as well as one or two more advanced books. Thanks in advance.

rshimek
01/18/2001, 10:42 PM
Hi,

Well, I think the best beginning invertebrate zoology book is:

Pearse, V., Pearse, J., Buchsbaum, M. and R. Buchsbaum. 1987. Living invertebrates. Blackwell Scientific Publications. Palo Alto, California.

and the standard text in the US is:

Ruppert, E. E. and R. D. Barnes. 1994. Invertebrate Zoology. Saunders College Publishing. Philadelphia. 1056 pp.

A book that is just now reaching the book sellers by Eric Borneman, Aquarium Corals, by Microcosm, is REALLY good for coral information.

For basic marine biology, I would recommend a book by
James Nybakken, titled Marine Biology (and with a publication date of 2000 or 2001) - it is also just published.

The invert books are a bit "dated" but nothing more recent is yet out.

Do a search at amazon.com or some other place for the best prices... they are NOT cheap.

Ecoli
01/18/2001, 11:07 PM
Thanks Dr shimek. The cost isnt too much of a concern. The class is a restriced class so there are only like 10 students. And the school will pay for the books.