PDA

View Full Version : I hate this Hobby!

kingsfan8888
12/13/2002, 04:51 PM
Plummed my refugium last night. Start time 3:30PM. First problem after drilling regluing and everything I notice a stress fracture in the sump. Shiznit have to buy a new sump at 5 o'clock PM. 150 bucks down the drain. I decide hey I might as well re plum the return lines and reconfigure my pumps to be more efficient. HUGE MISTAKE. I have learned over the years with this hobby that once something works; LEAVE IT THE HELL ALONE! I never lksten to myself though. 2 o'clock AM everything is done I am dead tired and have used every piece of PVC I bought. I thought I was buying extra pieces at 8o'clock at night but like I said there is no such things as extra parts in this hobby. I fire up my new streamline intake and return system. LEAK LEAK LEAK! So at 3o'clock in the morning I decide to suck the water out of the sump and call in a night only to be angered again later on in this already new day. I threw a couple heaters in the tank and fired up the power heads to keep things moving. IT is 1:30PM and I just got home from the office to get back into the project and my fingers are still killing me. I picked up more (EXTRA) PVC parts on the way home and will probly start again around 6. If you have children in the Alta Loma area cover their ears. I will be swearing up a storm tonight.

PS. I am going to sell the majority of all my SPS corals at the frag swap. I am going to put my calcium reactor dialed in on the system, get the Fuge running, and just be happy with my Fish, Maximas, Leathers, and tree corals for a while.

Anemone
12/13/2002, 06:50 PM
I know the feeling. My borneman flush-type surge began leaking...taking that thing apart, getting the right parts to repair the leak and repair/replace the PVC I destroyed taking it apart was a nightmare. What was worse was all the little cuts around my knuckles from coralline algae and small vertemid worm tubes. Took me several days to get the system back up and working...and six weeks later I still had infected bumps around a lot of the cuts. Now, six months later I only have one bump left....marine infections really suck (and yes, I saw a doctor, but she said the treatment regimen for bacterium marinum was rather extensive - 3 months on one heavy duty anti-biotic followed by 3 months on a second, so she suggested that I see if I could throw it off myself (but of course see her if any of a number of listed symptoms occured). Luckily, my body pretty much took care of the problem...except for one small bump :rolleyes: ).

Funny, my fingers were all swollen at the last frag swap....

Being a very bad tinkerer by luck/ability, but very much a tinkerer by habit/personailty, I know exactly how you feel. Get some sleep. You'll feel better on Sunday (at the swap!).

Kevin

India
12/14/2002, 01:27 PM
Poor Kingsfan!!

I believe the day to day stories are just a screenplay...karma had you scheduled for some major frustration, and I'm glad it had to do with plumbing excersizes at home, rather than major automotive, medical, bodily injury, etc...

Perhaps a strange perspactive to some, but I find it useful!!!

Look forward to seeing you tomorrow -
India

cali_reef
12/17/2002, 05:20 AM
Mike,

I just wonder onto this post, didn't know you had a problem with your tank. I would made room in my tank to hold your corals if I knew. I wish I was in town this week to help you out with the plumbing, but I am good at remote trouble shooting. Can you take some pictures of your set up and let us have a close look at what you are having problems with?

I will hold that big frag of my Purple Humilis and a frag of the pink acro you sold me. Just let me know when you are ready.

Pierce

kingsfan8888
12/17/2002, 04:31 PM
Cali-reef Thanks for the offer man. I have the tank running decent do far. The only problem I have now is micro bubbles. I think some of it is from my massive skimmer. The algae I got from the frag swap looks to be doing well in the refugium. I will be able to post pics after the Christmas holiday as I will be getting my digital camera. Overall I am pleased with the way the setup is and will not change it much. Note to everone get those PVC cutters (ratchet style) whenever doing repairs on plumming, they make things a trillion times less stressful. By the way my skimmer is running 20 times better after having it off for a couple days. I guess the pump needed a rest or something. I am finnally seeing how great my Euro Reef reallly is. I bought it used and it never worked properly til now.

I added a small bag of Calurpa and was able to get my protein skimmer working effeciently= 80ppm nitrates down to 20ppm in 4 days no joke !

Yellotang
12/17/2002, 06:35 PM
I stumbled across this thread also.

I have learned, "maybe", to stay away from my tanks at least an hour before I have to go anywhere. Many a time have I farted with something that was working fine, close to having to leave the house and "whammo". A leak or something else. All it does is cause undo stress on the family and myself.

Notice the line under my nick???