PDA

View Full Version : Reefers

BrianD
01/18/2001, 12:22 PM
I recently ordered a Precision Marine Bullet 2 skimmer from Reefers, along with a Mak-4 pump. Everything arrived when they said it would. The person I spoke to on the phone was knowledgeable about the installation, and was able to tell me what plumbing fittings I needed. They also carried the bulkhead that I needed.

Compare that to another MO house I called first, wanting to give them my business. I called and left a message, and received a phone call back from a girl that works there . My voice mail message indicated that I wanted to buy the Bullet skimmer, but I needed some guidance on installation. The girl who called (who obviously had no knowledge about the product) giggled on the phone while telling me that she had no idea how to hook it up, that I would have to call the manufacturer direct. I was attempting to spend $500 with them, but evidently this wasn't important enough to involve the owner.

Frustrated, I called Reefers, and within a few minutes everything was taken care of in a businesslike way.

I won't mention the name of the other business, but if they happen to read this message I hope they see themselves.

Brian

[Edited by BrianD on 01-18-2001 at 11:46 AM]

reefer69
01/19/2001, 03:23 PM
WOW.. Hey Brian... I never heard of a fish biographer.... Doesn't your mike get wet when you do the interview :)

anyway....

I was also pleased with both of my orders from reefers.

Items arrived when promised..

Prices were the best around.

Joe

O'Man
01/19/2001, 11:20 PM
Listed below is a copy of my post in the main forum... I have never been treated badly by Reefers, and I have bought a ton of stuff there without any problems. Some of their employees are excellent and helpful, but nobody's perfect...

(shark eggs)Wondering if any one has experience with them...
I saw loads of them at Reefer's (AKA-- Ocean Gallery) yesterday. I am not considering their purchase, but I am curious. I tried to listen to the employee talking to the young couple looking at them, but was unable to hear much.

I was considering purchasing some nice sps that they had there, but had to leave when I saw the "salesman" bagging a seahorse for someone without offering any instructions. It was one of these lfs deals of the employee saying, "Oh, seahorses are $21.95, you want it?" and reaching for a bag. I wish I had offered some advice to that young couple, but felt very outnumbered and alone. I admit, I whimped-out, and left. The only good thing I did, before I left, was to tell the employee, that the least he could do is sell those people some live food, and tell them how to care for that poor animinal. At least he did that.

I have had mixed results shopping there. Luckly, after way too much trial and error, I have learned what questions to ask and cannot say I have been treated unfairly at reefers, but I gotta admit, though, intentional omission of information... sure seems less than honest to me.

I think will buy my replacement light bulbs down the road, where they are more expensive, but where I know for sure they do not just bag-up a seahorse(or coral, or whatever) without asking some qualifying questions and giving the buyer an honest chance of taking care of the anininal.

Fogcutter
01/22/2001, 10:45 AM
The first time I ordered from this particular company it was a fairly bad experience. Being a fairly understanding kind of guy I gave them a second chance and ordered some more drygoods. The second order was a catastrophe as well. Shame on me.
The fact is that on both occasions I ended up having to buy the goods at an LFS at considerably more cost because the orders did not arrive in time. And no...we're not talking days....we're talking weeks.

I won't go into any more detail but IMO you would think that a company would go out of it's way to make sure the SECOND order was perfect knowing how bad the first was especially when the company has full knowledge of the customer's first experience. One would also think that maybe after seeing the mistake that the order would be sent out either two-day or overnight....one would be wrong again. Or maybe even some monetary compensation or a free gift would be in order.....but alas...no.

I won't presume to tell someone how to run an MO business or any other for that matter but I know how I would treat my customers (as I have in the past) and how to make things right.

Sorry for venting and I really didn't mean to flame but this is a sore subject for me.

Fogcutter

Kermit
01/22/2001, 11:27 PM
I never knew Reefers was the same company as Ocean Gallery! I just visited recently and was treated poorly by the owner, I think. I asked about the price on a glass canopy for a thirty gallon just out of curiosity, and the guy said "do you want it?" I said no and the guy turned his back to me and walked away. Now, I have never been impressed with the livestock, other than Brian From Atlantis Aquatics SPS that they sell, so I swore I will never go back. The prices are way high. They did have 2 or 3 Morish Idols in there and one was about to bite the dust.

Not a great store in my opinion. They need to lower the prices on their livestock or at least take care of them.

Just my opinion.

cjdevito
01/23/2001, 11:00 AM
I never knew Reefers was the same company as Ocean Gallery!

That's because... they aren't.

Two different companies, two different owners, sharing one physical facility.

Kermit
01/23/2001, 05:22 PM
Ah.... I see,

thanks

O'Man
01/23/2001, 10:55 PM
"I never knew Reefers was the same company as Ocean Gallery!

That's because... they aren't.

Two different companies, two different owners, sharing one physical facility."

I am not sure that's still true, I think one sold to the other and became an employee, or now gets a piece of the action, but I am not 100 percent.

Regardless, the place has gone downhill. The tanks are loaded with valonia and aptasia, and the fish look terrible. The employee attitude is slumping. They still have good prices on dry goods, though.

I hope they move backwards, they were a good store.