PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got a boat?

matt_rogers
12/09/2002, 07:57 PM
Hello, just noticed this club, love to trade down the road. But right now I need water for my empty tanks.

One of the tanks is going in our greehouse, open top, to get natural light. I would like to go all out and have natural sea water too. (Not the catalina stuff, but straight out of the ocean.)

I live in Pt. Richmond on the East Bay but would love to cruise up the coast and collect water near Pt. Reyes...

Does anyone have a boat?
Does anyone do this? / Want to do this?

Let me know!

matt

H20ENG
12/09/2002, 09:59 PM
Matt,
if you can get out on a boat, go out to the Farallonnes(sp.). you can see giant anemones and stars about 30 - 50' down. We saw a whale out there and dolphins. Bring your salt bucket and your barf bucket :)
If you are in Pt Richmond, you could easily drive to point Reyes. I wouldn't worry a bit about collecting near shore up there. good and clean.

matt_rogers
12/09/2002, 11:09 PM
Hey H20!
Nice to hear from you again...

Funny you mention the Farallonnes.
I have always heard about these great boat trips that go out there and how much sea life there is.
BUT - yesterday someone said that that place was where they used to dumb hazardous waste!!! Any truth to that?

Anyway, I need to scope out Pt. Reyes for sure.

Tonight I need to get down to my beach and get a bucket of salt water. I did some trading online for a Remora skimmer and this guy sent me a mangrove in the box with the skimmer! I guess he thought I had water already!! hehhe.

H20ENG
12/10/2002, 10:24 PM
Check to make sure the mangrove came in saltwater. Some small mangroves are imported or grown in freshwater, and you have to slowly acclimate them to seawater. It should grow like a weed with NSW.
Yes they used to dump stuff out there I think in the 50s. All the life there tells me the water is perfectly fine.

tubs
12/12/2002, 02:53 AM
Matt,

Off topic and I apologize up front - have you built your greenhouse yet? I'd be interested in your approach to cooling in the summer and heating in winter. Sounds like a fun project and I've got something similar in mind with a lean-to greenhouse next to our new sunroom.

John

matt_rogers
12/12/2002, 10:17 AM
Hey John -

The greenhouse was already here when we moved in. It is attached to the place on the second floor and faces south.

Where I live in California - Pt. Richmond - is often very sunny, but rarely hot. I plan on heating the room in the winter if need be with a small garage heater I have. The floor is concrete in there and actually had two drains in the far corners that go outside - flood protection!

Only a few times over the last few years have the temp gone over 90. Usually it's in the 70's and 60's in the winter. I plan on getting some shade cloth for emergencies and save for a chiller.

I will supplement the lighting with 2 NO bulbs and I have a 150w 10k halide pendant from my old tank if need be.

The tank is a 75 RR AGA that is actually supposed to be delivered here any minute! :eek1: I should have pictures of it in the greenhouse on my site in a couple days. I am psyched! (anyone out here do a euro-brace conversion before?)

(thanks for the tip on the plant H20)

matt