PDA

View Full Version : from 100gal to 125 gal i want some news

stephane
01/17/2001, 02:39 AM
hi dr im stephane and i live in canada i have a reef for
five year now and i dont have any promblem at all. i need new chalenge my reef consist of 100 gal 5 feet glass tank
whit sump 33 gal. in it i have a counter current skimmer 24 inc by 4 ich whater is pumping in at 120 gph air is produce by to wood diffuser and 3 air pumps rena 301 my circulation is mad by thow litle giant 3 mdqsc on the sump pluged on a red sea wave maker, pinpoint ph, R\O, and and tree small power head in the tank
for calcium i try a lot of stuf but for now im in the construction of a kalwaser reactor that i see in europe
http://mars.rever.fr/Articles/VisioReacteurSB.html very simple and very easy to set up put 3 spoon a week of kalk. and that it. always best lime water, but you have to have a top off whit a float valve one the systeme. i dont know why
nobody talk more about this here it seem that they mix kalk by hand very wast of time i tink or maybe not to technical vs calcium reactor. my lightning is performe by 2 ho (80 watt)5 foot daylight and
4 4 foot tl actinic (40 watt) whit good hood relector i know is not to much but all coral and clams trive so i tink is good. in the tank i have 160 pound of live fiji rock cover of coraline, good mix of coral, yellow, purple and 2 blue tang, blue damselm very old i have it i tink for more tan 8 years,green mandarin,15 big turbo snail and 50 hermit crab in the bottom i have noting, pure glass cover whit coraline algae. every parameter is okey i haved a litle begining of
red algee 3 week ago but now is okey firt time that i haved algae (i stop the skimmer for 6 months just to see what happening not a very good idea) that what i have

now what i want
complete new system new metod
6 foot tank whit
new skimmer can you tell me what is best in you opinion
i chek the aerofometer 824,hsa 250,das ex2, or an other counter current skimmer dont you tink that beckett skimmer will remove to much from water or it a good choice?
whit them do i need to give extra plankton to coral?

for ligting i want 2 250w 6500k iwasaki what kind of balast
MV pfo or ice cap? do i need uv protech for bulb?
and 2 vho actinique whit ice cap.

for the botom im a litle bit confuse about method berlin or jaubert and what kind what size and who deep of substrate do you prefer? (i know that my metod is old but when i start it is ok) live sands secret book from bob goeman is a good spend for this or some reading link?

for the rest i tink im going to be ok
it seem like when every ting goes good i want to ugrade, i dont know why but that the way it is whit this hobby.
tank you Stephane

rshimek
01/17/2001, 11:02 AM
Bonjour Stephane,

Originally posted by stephane
..., but you have to have a top off whit a float valve one the systeme. i dont know why

Probably to prevent overflow of water back to the main tank.

No, I don't think skimmers remove too much of anything from the water. This is an aquarium myth without any data to back it up.

[b]... do i need to give extra plankton to coral?

However, extra food to your animals never hurts, as long as you have a way to export excess nutrients.

what kind what size and who deep of substrate do you prefer? (i know that my metod is old but when i start it is ok) live sands secret book from bob goeman is a good spend for this or some reading link?

I am in favor of deep sand beds, and this link tells a bit about my thoughts on them.

http://www.reefs.org/library/talklog/r_shimek_090698.html

You should do a search through the ReefCentral threads for information on "deep sand beds." You will find a wealth of useful information.

For the record, I think sand beds should be a minimum of 10 cm deep, 15 cm is better....

You might also check the ReefCentral library for information on my small book (costs about US$13-$15) and it tells how to set up a sand bed, and why to do it.

To be blunt, Goemans' book is worthless. No one needs a plenum or any other such methodology, and he doesn't understand the dynamics of the organisms in a sand ecosystem.

stephane
01/17/2001, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by rshimek
Bonjour Stephane,

[QUOTE]Originally posted by stephane
[B]..., but you have to have a top off whit a float valve one the systeme. i dont know why

Probably to prevent overflow of water back to the main tank.

No, I don't think skimmers remove too much of anything from the water. This is an aquarium myth without any data to back it up.

[b]... do i need to give extra plankton to coral?

However, extra food to your animals never hurts, as long as you have a way to export excess nutrients.

what kind what size and who deep of substrate do you prefer? (i know that my metod is old but when i start it is ok) live sands secret book from bob goeman is a good spend for this or some reading link?

I am in favor of deep sand beds, and this link tells a bit about my thoughts on them.

http://www.reefs.org/library/talklog/r_shimek_090698.html

You should do a search through the ReefCentral threads for information on "deep sand beds." You will find a wealth of useful information.

For the record, I think sand beds should be a minimum of 10 cm deep, 15 cm is better....

You might also check the ReefCentral library for information on my small book (costs about US$13-$15) and it tells how to set up a sand bed, and why to do it.

To be blunt, Goemans' book is worthless. No one needs a plenum or any other such methodology, and he doesn't understand the dynamics of the organisms in a sand ecosystem.

tank you dr, your reply confirm what i tink on sand bed
could you tell me what is the title of your book and where
to buy it

for the skimmer which one do you prefer? what do you tink
about the new hsa 250 for 350$
http://www.marinetechnical.com/newproducts.htm#HSA250
a lot tell that aerofometer have the swirl design and is best for it but it look like new hsa have it to for less $
whath do you tink? if it was you what do you buy and
why?
tank you for your help Stephane

rshimek
01/17/2001, 12:38 PM
Stephane,

>could you tell me what is the title of your book and where
to buy it

Do a search at http://www.amazon.com or http://www.bn.com using my name - Ron Shimek - and you will find the book; I have only written one. One of those two places is likely to be cheapest.

>for the skimmer which one do you prefer?

I use ETS skimmers, and find them good for my needs. However, other skimmers such as the HSA may be as good or better, but I have no real information on them.

>if it was you what do you buy and why?

I would stick with the ETS, because I have had good luck with them, including good and rapid product support for a problem that developed with an older one.