PDA

View Full Version : 2 months of growth!

heedicus
12/05/2002, 09:45 AM
Well finally I am home!
WOW, two months of growth on corals is fun=) I was pretty suprised how much everything grew, unfortunetally also my lil bubble algae problem has grown. Anyone know a good way of gettin rid of it? some of these suckers are HUGE so I am going to get out the ole tweezers and snip some off first and possibly scrub the rocks (in seperate water so hopefully spores dont make it back into my system).
any sugguestions on gettin rid of this stuff?
thanks,
tren

link to pics
http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=904714

zookeeper_75
12/05/2002, 10:09 AM
If the bubbles are small enough emerald crabs work wonders, not sure the best way to handle them once they get big.

heedicus
12/05/2002, 10:50 AM
Yea I think I will have to order some of those soon.
t

jurisnipper
12/05/2002, 12:13 PM
I wonder if you bust a little one of them loose to blow around your tank for a while whether your tang would eat it.

If you can train shrimp...maybe you could train a tang to hunt and kill bubble algae.

When monkeys fly out of my ballast....

SMN

heedicus
12/05/2002, 12:33 PM
hmmm,
the possibilites are endless.
but why stop at eating algae, perhaps I could create an entire shrimp and tang show. singing dancing jumping through hoops the whole shebang!
i could make millions...
anyboady have a salfin tang or a fox face i can borrow?
I am going to open a algae eating critter rental service someday, make my second million.
t

GARFVolunteer
12/06/2002, 09:58 PM
Welcome back Tren!!!!!

Emerald crabs do wonders on bubble algae. The bigger ones will eventually burs and become more crab food. You might ask around I know some reefers had alot of them but their algae was just about gone. They might be willing to part with some.....

I am planning on being at the Y on Wednesday. If you aren't on your honey-moon why don't you drop by?

Give me a call at home. I have a couple of corals for you.

Scott

heedicus
12/07/2002, 01:26 AM
Well on that note.
Anyone have a few I could "borrow"?(or buy off of you)

Scott, Perhaps I might come by the Y on Wed, I have to start paddling more again, I am coming out of retirement and getting backinto racing (and 2004 in athens is real close).
so I shall see you then i think.
hope all is well,
t

noni
12/12/2002, 09:47 PM
i have a small bubble algae problem about 2 times a year and i just burst them all right in the tank so not to stress the pieces. this has been the quick effective and inexpensive method for me for years. the clean up crew or whatever you have will take care of the skins.
dont let them get out of hand.

Bayliner
12/12/2002, 10:02 PM
Is it the skin that reproduces or what is inside the bubble?
I have always been worried about what is in side getting into my tank.

If it were only the skin that reproduces it would make it easy to get rid of.

Thanks
Cam

noni
12/12/2002, 10:26 PM
every tank is different. my experience with my tank is that the bursting works and i dont see an explosion of offspring afterwards. in fact, the green bubble algae goes away for a long time. algae of different kinds come and go at different times. they run their cycle and for the most part dissappear.

jurisnipper
12/17/2002, 12:30 AM
I went over to & checked out this "2 mo of growth" tonight.

What I found interesting was that I gave him two frags of acro of mine that weren't thriving (before my lighting upgrade). The one changed from bright orange to green and the other one changed from bright orange to blood red in color. I don't know that those two grew as much as the dramatic change in color.

I guess I didn't realize corals change color that drastically that quickly.

Unless he is using makeup water from INEEL.

SMN