PDA

View Full Version : Strange Carpet Anemone Behavior

JSM
01/16/2001, 08:04 PM
A couple months ago I e-mailed you about a Mertens carpet anemone I was inheriting, which BTW I believe to be a Haddons, has VERY sticky tentacles and moved from the rock into the DSB. Anyway, like I said his tentacles were very sticky, well a small rock fell on him and he lost all stickiness to his tentacles. I thought this was the end, I know it's not a good sign when they lose stickiness, he still looked great and expanded well and after about a week all the stickiness returned. I have never read anything about this and he seems fine and is starting to eat again. Do they at will control the stickiness in their tentacles? Have you ever experienced this with your haddons? Thanks.

Janna

rshimek
01/16/2001, 08:17 PM
Hi Janna,

Changes in "stickyness" are common. You have to realize that "sticky" here means the firing of nematocysts and it is sticky because they are adhering to your skin by being fired through the outer layers....

These nematocysts are dicharged by 2 part (at least) triggering system that includes direct control by the animal's nervous system. Any trauma or change to conditions of the animals can result in differences in their "stickyness" as they will be more or less likely to fire the nematocysts.

Yes, I have seen the same thing with my 2 haddoni. Lack of stickyness will cure itself if the animal is in good condition.