PDA

View Full Version : Plenum vs bottom

Larry
01/16/2001, 01:13 PM
Sirs: I am confused. What is the difference between putting a sandbed directly on the bottom of a tank and a sandbed on plenum. Will both achieve equal results? Also can this not be done in sump? If plenum is the way to go is there a place I can go online to instruct how this is done? My lfs looks at me like I'm nuts when I inquire there! In my part of Kansas, not many, if any, experts on this subject. thank you for help.

Larry

rshimek
01/16/2001, 02:36 PM
Hi Larry,

Originally posted by Larry
Sirs: I am confused. What is the difference between putting a sandbed directly on the bottom of a tank and a sandbed on plenum. Will both achieve equal results?

No. A deep sand will process more protein byproducts. With regard to normal biological filtration, to reduce nitrates to nitrogen, both are about equivalent.

Also can this not be done in sump?

Yes, but less well than in the main tank, as you must ensure that detritus, etc., gets swept to the sump.

If plenum is the way to go is there a place I can go online to instruct how this is done? My lfs looks at me like I'm nuts when I inquire there!

Frankly, I think anybody who puts in a plenum IS nuts, but that is my opinion. It is a waste of time, effort and materials and you get less from it. But, that has not stopped aquarists from other similar ventures....

JP
01/17/2001, 05:38 PM
Hi Dr. Ron!
If you think its "nuts" to use a plenum does that mean that it's better to just use a deep sand bed? What do you like to use? Your input would be of very much help to me as I am somewhat confused also about what is the better method.
Thanks, John:)

rshimek
01/17/2001, 05:44 PM
JP,

A deep sand bed is all you need.

All of my tanks have DSBs.

JP
01/17/2001, 05:47 PM
Thanks Dr. Ron
Just one more question: How deep? and what type of sand ?
Sorry thats two questions:)

rshimek
01/17/2001, 05:58 PM
JP,

4, 6, 8 inches in Lagoonal reef, S. haddoni female tank, S. haddoni male tank, respectively.

The base sand in all cases is ESV's oolitic.