PDA

View Full Version : Where is the live elkhorn around Aruba?

Gary Majchrzak
12/01/2002, 11:23 PM
All of the A. palmata I saw in Aruba while snorkeling was dead. And there was a whole skeletal forest of it. Where is the living elkhorn? Outside the inlet at 'Baby Beach'?

Bomber
12/02/2002, 06:55 AM
Gary, just about anywhere from Baby Beach to Eagle Beach along the south shore. It's a little deeper in spots though.

Jerel

Gary Majchrzak
12/02/2002, 08:47 AM
Thanks, Jerel. I have a gut feeling that I'll be back at that spot someday.

neuroracer
12/04/2002, 09:46 AM
We went diving there this past May and it was pretty good diving - did you do any? We saw a ton of stuff. At this one dive site, it was horrific swells and we were about 40 feet from shore (so you know the way the waves start crashing.) We were in about 15-20 feet of water, and my husband and I jumped off first to wait in the water for other couple of people (one who was gagging over the side the whole time). We were fine because amazingly, in 15-feet of water, that close to shore, where we really weren't supposed to be diving but it was a local's favorite, we saw so much stuff, it was jam-packed with corals and gorgonians and just huge coral-heads. We saw so much stuff in that 5-10 minutes of floating, well, being battered, on the hang-line.
I would go back in a heartbeat. The rest of the island is okay, I prefer other islands, but the diving was pretty nice here. I didn't see any huge dead corals, just some dead spots on those huge brain corals sitting on the bottom. And more eels and stonefish than you can shake a stick at.:p