PDA

View Full Version : Need help on Indentification!

Grunt
01/15/2001, 08:14 PM
Hello
I posted this subject about a month or so ago. Although nothign was really helpful. I've still had no clue as to what they really were adn pics are nonexistant.
here is the post

I have 2 unidentified creatures in my tank(30gals,20#'s of LR-monano)
1)On the glass of my tank I have about ton of very very small snails. They are all white. The largest I've seen is about the size of a pin head. They seem to have one spiral shape,starting from the center spiraling outward...They are hard to get off glass They seem to congregate in the back corners and sides of the tank.

2)I also have about 30-45 SLUGS of some sort. The colors of the slugs range from light tan to dark brown to black to even a dark purple! They have 2 antenna in the front, and a snail like mouth. On their backs they have a weird round type of bump or something. It's kinda hard to explain. There is NO frilly growth or anything. They look like a garden slug but smaller and with a hump on the back.
These guys BALL up in the day time and at dusk they come out. These guys are nocturnal as far as I can tell. Some come out during the day, usually the smaller ones. They forage during the night and when the lights come on they either dissappear from veiw or ball up.

I've looked around alot 4 the possible names of these creatures but have come up empty handed. Does anyone happen to know what they are?
Thanks
-Grunt

This is like on page 19 or so called "Need HELP on Identification!!(Inverts) "

http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=12216

-Thanks for any info you can provide!
-Grunt

Clyde
01/15/2001, 10:07 PM
it sounds like you're explaining simple snails

check the reefs.org faq - its VERY great, been updated recently and all - go check it out

http://www.reefs.org find the link for the hitchhikers faq..

rshimek
01/15/2001, 11:22 PM
Grunt,

Your number 1: These are small tube-dwelling bristle worms called "Spirorbids." They are suspension-feeders and are harmless.

Your number 2: These are a trochid snail called Stomatella varia and are good grazers. Very closely related to the standard Astraea or Trochus. The shell is flatter and the whorls spread faster giving the illusion of almost no shell.

Clyde,

No snail is simple.

Cheers, Ron