PDA

View Full Version : should i use a refug ot not.

beach
11/27/2002, 06:26 PM
set up a prop tank,150g and 40g sump.have about 200# of lr in the tank and a prop tray to start frags on.400w mh pendant .few ?'s.i may have read to much.one author says a refug with macroalgae will starve or take nutrients away from the sps.another author uses dsb and grassalaria,sea grasses,sargasm,mangroves etc.there are no fish in this tank and it is serviced by a prt skmmr.i only want to prop montip and staghorn.i have 6 other tanks and these grow the fastest for me.para are all perfect but the tank is only 3 wks old.i am itching to start but want to make sure about this refug in case i need to replumb.all my other tanks have refug. and i seem to get along well.thanks beach

chrisblore
11/28/2002, 12:15 PM
As the saying goes, "if it aint broke, don't fix it" and I think this applies here. As you already have tanks with refugia operating successfully I don't see any reason not to have one. It is also to be remembered that a 'fuge is simply the continuation of the natural nutrient cycle and, as such, is a natural addition to your system.
Hope this helps
Chris

austinratboy
12/02/2002, 02:25 PM
I'd add a refugium. I am not a SPS expert but I do keep them in my 90 reef w/ a refugium and NO protien skimmer. If anything a refugium will add food sources to your tank in the form of pods and other larval life.