PDA

View Full Version : My tank is UP!

CarlS
11/27/2002, 12:39 PM
Well after a bunch of work and waiting and my tank is finally up and running! I converted my freshwater tank over to a reef tank and I think I did a pretty good job. I think the tank is almost cycled and I can slowly begin to add stuff. First thing to get is a clean up crew because I got cyano algea growing pretty good. Typical of a new tank I have heard.

So my tank is a standard 55 gallon. I have a 20 gallon extra high tank for my sump. I have (2) 175w 10k mh's from PFO. I still need to add (2) flourescent which won't be too hard. I have a Magnum 350 running the sump (will eventually change I'm sure). In the tank I have (2) Maxijet 1200 and another big powerhead powering some undergravel jets. I plan to make a protien skimmer to put in the sump if there is room.

So here are 2 bad pictures taken with a cheap digital camera.

Carl

CarlS
11/27/2002, 12:59 PM
And picture number 2.

miamidolphins
11/27/2002, 01:03 PM
Good job Carl,

One piece of advice though, you may want to relocate that ballast PFO tend to run HOT and it may be difficult to maintain a 76-82 degree temp with a smaller tank JMO

Good luck

Mak71
11/27/2002, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by CarlS
And picture number 2.

Hi CarlS, can you take a close up pic of your sump for me?? I would love to know how ppl set up their sump?? Are you using two pump?? Thanx...
Well, anyone willing to send a pic of their sump for me?? I would know you guys set it..

Thanx
Kevin

CarlS
11/27/2002, 01:16 PM
Yes I noticed that it does run a bit warm. However with my lights on all day with no fans at all my tank hasn't gone higher the 80 degrees. My hood has an open back and the lights are about 9 or 10 inches from the surface I think. When I put fans up by the lights I'm pretty sure they will drop the temp a few degrees also.

Which is something I will have to do by summer because my condo gets really hot. I have an air conditioning unit that I could have blowing on the sump if it gets too bad. Will have to wait and see on that one.

Thanks though for the advice. I don't really have much room to put it anywhere else at the moment though.

Carl

CarlS
11/27/2002, 02:50 PM
Mak71: I just happen to have a close up of my sump. So here is a pic of it. So let me explain how it's set up.

Section 1: Water comes in here and travels down under the plexi divider I have.

Section 2: Hope to put a in sump protien skimmer in here. Water comes from Section 1 and up over the second plexi divider into Section 3.

Section 3: Just some plexi dividers so water travels up and down to hopefully reduce bubbles made from my future skimmer.

Unfortunetly I think my magnum 350 puts bubbles back into the water so that's why I'll eventually replace it if I can.

I'm new at this so don't know if it's a good set up. The Sump and Magnum 350 hold up to power outages just fine. Some water gets syphoned back to the sump but when power kicks back on the Magnum pumps it all back up to start the cycle again. Only problem I may have is if my overflow in my tank gets clogged then my magnum may pump up enough water to overflow my tank. Haven't tested that yet hehe.

Ok here is the pic!
(Takes an hour to post a pic)

Carl

Mak71
11/27/2002, 04:23 PM
Thanx carl.. But why did you have to seprate them into 3 part?? u planning to put any sand in your sump?? cuz some ppl told me they do... so I don't know..

Thanx
Kevin
And really appreciate that you taking your time to send me your pic..
Once again, thanx

Zack S
11/28/2002, 11:37 AM
Am I the only one haveing trouble downloading thesew pics sorry it is like cut off big white spce in the middle try later on a different comp