PDA

View Full Version : more about feeding

Drake1
11/25/2002, 06:47 PM
ok I was reading the last post and I didn't want to draw that one out so I thought I would start a new one. I have a 125 Gallon reef with no fish. I have lots of corals that have all done great over the years..so I was thinking of getting some sea horses to get some movement in my tank. when I read the other post people are talking about feeding live food but when I go to the sites that sell then they say that all the captive raised ones you can feed frozen foods...so what gives here...also what is the best sea horse to get for a 125. also what do you think about pipe fish
Thanks
Jeff

Mairi
11/25/2002, 11:28 PM
HI Jeff

Seahorses need a very gentle current, 3-5x the tank volume, so if your corals need more than this, you couldn't keep them. Also, seahorses can't be kept with most hard corals or any anemones.

Apart from that, CB horses are trained to eat frozen foods. I have never had a problem with any of mine, ate from the first day in the tanks, and I have had over 100 horses.

Pipes make excellent tankmates for horses, again look for CB varieties. I believe FFE was selling CB pipes at one time.

HTH, feel free to ask more, or if you list your corals we can see if horses will work in there.