PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Les ! The meeting was great !

Corpus Callosum
11/23/2002, 10:33 PM
I had fun. I don't know about you guys, but I've been acclimating corals since 6 ocklock :D . Incase anyone was confused , these are the ones that showed up (Please let me know if I missed anyone!) :

DgenR8 - Larry (It was cool meeting you, so what are you going to tell your wife about all that stuff you brought home ? :D )
fishome25 - Tom ( luckily you're not married so you shouldn't have the same problem Larry might :cool: )
jasonchi - Jason ( I will email you Joe's email after this post )
JB NY - Joe Burger ( I will email you the article on vinegar/kalk after this post )
Joe Yaiullio - sorry cant remember your RC name but glad you could make it, I can't believe your son slept through most of it.
John - I don't think you're signed up with RC yet but it was cool meeting you, the first one who showed up.
MIKENY - Mike (thanks for the frags! xenia is already pulsing)
MikeG - Mike (thanks for the frag, the green polyps are out already!)
Montepora - Andrew ( thanks for the frag , once again lol )
Peacefrog - Andrew/Andy ( I think you stayed till very end, now thats devotion :D )
pyro383 - Eric (you took home some of nick's caulerpa right? let me know how it does ! )
Stix - Nick ( I believe put1under is the RC name of the friend you came with? It was cool meeting you )
SWW1268 - Steve ( let me know how the clown goby does ! )
Zebrasoma17 - Al ( let me know how that fairy wrasse does, it looked really nice and really healthy )

And ofcourse, thanks Les, his son (it was cool meeting you!), and his wife for hosting the meeting, providing some food and refreshments, and everything else!

I think we should get stuff like this going every month or so. Then we can get to know each other faster, trade more, learn more, and have some fun.

By the way, there are double as many people on my mailing list than those who showed up. It's just that they were busy with a job or prior engagements, but hopefully we will meet more new faces at future meetings!

any suggestions for future meetings... let em rip

DgenR8
11/23/2002, 11:10 PM
I'll second that thank you to Les! Today was a great time! Let's do it again soon.
I gotta go now, still acclimating and hoping to get everything into the tank before the wife gets home. I spoke to her about 10 mins ago, she was on the Tappan Zee bridge!:eek2: :eek1: :eek1: :eek2:

fishome25
11/23/2002, 11:11 PM
Yes nice meeting everyone hope to see you all again.

DgenR8, i believe you bought an orange bullseye pistol shrimp. If this is the case do not try and pair a goby with him, he may kill the goby, and they dig some crazy holes. sure is a beauty though.

zebrasoma17
11/23/2002, 11:13 PM
Mike:

Thanks for all the effort to set up the meeting. Everything was great. It was nice to see everyone again and meet some folks who weren't at the last meeting. It's gonna be tough to remember who's who with everybody having both an RC name and a real name. I liked the way we were all able to discuss things without a formal agenda.

Les:

Major thanks for allowing us to use your wife's studio and for your hospitality. The day was very enjoyable.

MikeG and Montepora:
Frags are looking good. Thanks.

Larry:
Make sure you destroy all evidence especially that big styrofoam fish box.

:eek1:

Al

Corpus Callosum
11/23/2002, 11:36 PM
Al,

the next meeting I will bring sticker name tags for everyone to write their names on, and stick it on their shirt. Then you won't have to worry about remembering peoples names.... :smokin:

Here's my proof that I had fun :lolspin:

http://www.nano-reef.com/sci33/11-23-02/P1010002.JPG

http://www.nano-reef.com/sci33/11-23-02/P1010004.JPG

http://www.nano-reef.com/sci33/11-23-02/P1010005.JPG

http://www.nano-reef.com/sci33/11-23-02/P1010006.JPG

http://www.nano-reef.com/sci33/11-23-02/P1010009.JPG

Stix
11/23/2002, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by sci33

Stix - Nick ( I believe put1under is the RC name of the friend you came with? It was cool meeting you )

Mike, that wasn't Put1Under. Put1Under is Rick, he couldn't make it. The kid with me was just a friend, not a reefer, that just came along so I wouldn't talk to myself the entire ride.

And yea I enjoyed today's meeting. Nice meeting all of you. Cya all at the next one.

-Nick

Corpus Callosum
11/24/2002, 12:08 AM
no wonder he looked so bored lol. I feel his pain. :D

JB, your red millepora is the most stunning coral under actinics. Both the red and yellow areas fluoresce (spelling?) more than all my other frags.

MIKE NY
11/24/2002, 12:35 AM
A big thank you to Les and his wife for allowing us to use the studio and setting up a nice spread of refreshments and munchies. Another thank you to Mike for organizing another great meeting. I had a good time meeting everyone, talking and trading frags. I arrived with a cooler full of bags and left with a cooler filled with bags and I even picked up a nice blue tip stag from Les. All of which are still aclimating and then the hard part of finding room for them.

Mike......I'm glad to hear the xenia are doing good and the millipora should turn a nice fuzzy green.

I hope everone's frags that I traded with are doing well.

Larry...next time I'll bring a handtruck for ya:D

Thanks again and looking forward to the next one

Mike

montepora
11/24/2002, 12:47 AM
I think next time we should all start with this introduction, my name is so and so and I am a reef addict. Then we all say hi, so and so. LOL! Like some kind of self help meeting!

A big thank you to Mike who organize this meeting and definitely to Les and his family for the kindness of lending out the studio, and prepare the drinks (non-alcoholic) and food.

I had a great time and yes, I came with bunch of frags and came home with some money and bunch of frags. I am a happy man!!

Too bad you folks all live too far away from my house otherwise, I would visit all of you frequently. :D

It was a pleasure meeting you all and another thank you to Mike, Les and his family.

Corpus Callosum
11/24/2002, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by montepora
I came with bunch of frags and came home with some money and bunch of frags.

You said frags twice in the same sentence. You are definitely addicted. No self help meeting will ever help you, you must go into rehab.

Also I believe Steve lives like 10 min from you, if you want to contact him on a personal level.

Hope to have another meeting set up soon!

Stix
11/24/2002, 11:25 AM
Hey guys, just a quick Q. I took home 2 cleaner shrimp from Les's store. They hadn't paired up yesterday/last night yet but this morning they are together. But they are fighting a lot. They stay real close but fight pretty viciously often. Is this a bad sign or is it normal?

Also, the cyclops-eeze stuff is pretty cool. A little does go a long way. I added what would be equivalent to 1/3 cube (in frozen brine shrimp cubes) of it and it was all over the tank! I don't understand how the fish can see those little tiny bugs but they do and ate it all. All my polyps had their mouths full of little red dots too and were constantly catching food and closing up. It was pretty cool. They rarely catch brine and sometimes just crushed flake.

-Nick

Justjoe
11/24/2002, 11:59 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by montepora
[B]I think next time we should all start with this introduction, my name is so and so and I am a reef addict. Then we all say hi, so and so. LOL! Like some kind of self help meeting!

About 10 years ago I often used the term:
"Coralaholic" which is very appropriate for a group such as ours.
I look forward to future meetings.
Joe Yaiullo
Atlantis Marine World

Justjoe
11/24/2002, 12:05 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Stix
[B]Hey guys, just a quick Q. I took home 2 cleaner shrimp from Les's store. They hadn't paired up yesterday/last night yet but this morning they are together. But they are fighting a lot. They stay real close but fight pretty viciously often. Is this a bad sign or is it normal?

Are they close in size? If so then most likely a problem. Best bet to pair them off is to get a large one (sometimes you'll see them carrying a batch of blue eggs to confirm the sex) and a couple of smaller ones which tend to be males. Most often same sex won't tolerate each other.

<<Also, the cyclops-eeze stuff is pretty cool. A little does go a long way. >>

The nutrional value is through the roof on it as well, everything loves it. Especially good to use if you have some smaller, more timid fish with larger fish. The larger fish ignore it and the smaller fish can feed at their leisure so you don't have to overfeed the tank to make sure the timid guys get enough.

Corpus Callosum
11/24/2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Justjoe
Best bet to pair them off is to get a large one (sometimes you'll see them carrying a batch of blue eggs to confirm the sex) and a couple of smaller ones which tend to be males.

Nick,

I got 2 small cleaner shrimp in my tank right now. They are the same size and I have never seen them fight, but at the same time I don't think they are mature enough to pair as I haven't seen any eggs happen yet (its been like 2-3 months since I've have them). Maybe we should trade one cleaner, so then both of us would have 1 large and 1 small to make pairs. Cause the cleaner shrimp I was looking at in Les' place were like 2-3 times as big as the ones I have now. Just an idea.

-mike

Peacefrog
11/24/2002, 01:11 PM
Had a really good time!
It was great to meet everyone and finally put some faces to the names.
Thanks go out to Mike for setting it up, Les and your wife for being great hosts,and the rest of you who showed up to make this event such a success!

Thanks also go out to :
Larry-the colts should do just fine and I know what your going through,I've got to sneak the acrylic tank past the wife,the big styrofoam box was enough.

Nick-the xenia is doing great and the algea was just what my refuge needed.

Steve- added the rottifers to my refuge,and I'm still not sure exactly what to do with the green water but thanks just the same.

Hope everyone had as good of time as I did and hope we can do it again soon!

Andrew a.k.a. Peacefrog
:frog:

:D

Stix
11/24/2002, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by sci33

Maybe we should trade one cleaner, so then both of us would have 1 large and 1 small to make pairs.
-mike
Mike, that's a great idea. I'm kind of in a rush right now but when I have a chance later today or tomorrow I will research a lil on how to sex them so I can know for sure.

-Nick

ReeferDoc
11/24/2002, 05:57 PM
I couldn't agree more! Les - Thanks for hosting the great meeting! Mike - Thanks for putting us together!

As you know, as of the meeting I was not registered on RC yet ("John"), but thanks to the gang from the LI Reefers I'm now here. I am brand new to this hobby and learned lots from the club so far. I just picked up my tank yesterday after the meeting and look forward to an exciting career. Thanks to all of you who were so nice and offered me some great start up tips! I look forward to seeing the club again!

John

DgenR8
11/24/2002, 11:02 PM
Hello John,
It's great to see you here!
[welcome]

I saw your other post, if you still can't find Southdown, and want to go west for it, the Freeport store has some, at least they did a week or so ago.

MikeG
11/24/2002, 11:21 PM
Great to meet everyone! Thanks to Mike and Les for all their help. Glad to hear that the frags are doing well in their new homes.

Stix: I have two cleaners as well. When I bought them, I was sure to see that one already had a batch of eggs, and I just assumed that the other might be male. And I was right, and lucky -- one has a new batch to feed my corals! The process took three weeks so maybe you will need to wait at least that long. LOL

Mike :D

JB NY
11/25/2002, 01:09 PM
I agree, It was a good time. It's great to see so many people. The turnout was much better than I expected. I think we still need to do introductions next meeting, as their were lots of faces I was trying to put with their signon name.

Corpus Callosum
11/25/2002, 05:39 PM
Yeah, next time we'll organize things better, plus have name tags on.

DgenR8
11/25/2002, 09:03 PM
I don't know about nametags Mike........... :cool:

Corpus Callosum
11/25/2002, 09:41 PM
OK, everyone will put nametags on except you. Then we will all know the loudmouth is Larry :D

but on a serious note, yeah I guess they will be optional lol. I'll be wearing one though and I think everyone should be, just sticker type things for your shirts.

Musipilot
12/02/2002, 06:14 PM
Sorry I couldn't make it guys, I had my cooler all ready, but an overtime call at 4:30 in the morning took care of that! The way I figure it, I made enough to buy all the frags next time :)

I did make a trip today to Les' store, and he made a friend for life. I drove an hour, and didn't realize they weren't open Monday! Like a Men's Wearhouse commercial, they let me in, they were acclimating some new arrivals.

I looked the whole place over, and walked out with a beautiful Sailfin Tang (to replace my 6 year old Kole that died last week, rip!), some mushrooms and a nice fat feather duster. Great stuff, and I enjoyed meeting him and his wife.

I'll be at the next meeting for sure, I'll just leave the phone off the hook the night before.

Dave