PDA

View Full Version : Diving this weekend?

luminary
11/21/2002, 09:23 AM
Anyone wanna brave the cool waters with me this weekend? Other than being a bit chilly, looks like it's gonna be nice. 3-5 seas saturday dying down to 2 ft seas on sunday. Current water temp according to the USF monitor at the entrance to the bay is a crisp 66.4 deg F.

I'd prefer a morning trip since it's getting darker early now.

I might actually have to wear a full wetsuit for this one!

luminary
11/21/2002, 09:49 AM
OK...so now I have no idea what the water temps are...the noaa bouy at Egmont Key (http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.phtml?station=EGKF1) has the current water temp listed as 66.4 deg F.

But weather.com (http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/boatandbeach/weather/tenday/USFL0084?from=LAPlocalinker) lists the current surface temp as 85 deg F.

WTH?!?...I have no idea what the water temps are right now...I sent out an email to a local divemaster to ask him what the waters been like...

zooqi
11/21/2002, 10:04 AM
We did a dive last weekend in PA and the water temp was in mid 30s. We are going again this coming weekend. Hopefully next month ice diving. Temp over 60 is a heaven for us. Do you guys do a shore dive there ?

luminary
11/21/2002, 10:39 AM
I would absolutely love to do some ice diving! The cooler water here is no problem for me, but all my friends are wimps :D .

No shore diving in Tampa/Clearwater...the reefs/ledges are miles out.

zooqi
11/21/2002, 10:51 AM
I don't mind cold water even icy water because I have good dry suit:) . Come this way with a frag or two and I will push you in a cold water if you like :D . Computer is my main job at home and I teach scuba diving so I can get out of the house. I got all kinds of heavy wet suits and you are more than welcome to use any if you dive around here. Don't forget the frags or some of those suits can leak underwater and it will be really cold. :)

luminary
11/21/2002, 10:54 AM
It'll probably be quite some time before I'm up that way, but if I am, I'll ring you up!

I noticed one of your hobbies is also photography...any coldwater U/W shots to show off?

zooqi
11/21/2002, 11:12 AM
I grew up in Indian ocean with reef and all the fun. I do underwater photography but not cold water. As a matter of fact I got married underwater in Key Largo, Florida. :celeb3: :beer: I'm thinking on opening a thread with that subject. I need to get my pictures together and do that.

stevemc
11/22/2002, 07:17 AM
Matt, a cold front is blowing through today,(Friday) and it will get rougher and colder. It is 68 in Sarasota right now. Surface temp shot way up last week as it got warmer, then went back down. I'll get in touch sometime about diving, as I try to go as much as possible, but it has been too rough lately. Steve in Sarasota. PS, I have wetsuits and hate wetsuits and coldwater , but once in its OK. I can stay in all day if its clear enough. Steve.:) :)

luminary
11/22/2002, 07:28 AM
How ya been Steve? Haven't seen you at the club meetings lately!

The latest forecast I've seen said it was going to get rough tonight (5-7 ft seas) and then die down steadily over the weekend to 2-3 ft seas on sunday. I was planning on waiting until tomorrow afternoon and seeing what things were like for sunday, but no one seems to be interested :(...oh well, maybe next time.

As for the cold...well, just need to deal with that if we want to dive this time of year here!

Spoke with a local divemaster and he had some friends that went out on wednesday...50' depth, 68 deg, 8-10' vis.

I've decided to make a concerted effort to do more local diving. My one or two trips down to the keys each summer just ain't enough for me!

zooqi - get those pics up! I'd love to see 'em!

zooqi
11/22/2002, 11:37 AM
luminary: I'll work on them soon and will update you guys here

RicksReefs
11/22/2002, 08:06 PM
luminary,
68*:eek1:,dude, ya gotta come to the
east coast,waters still in the high 70's-low 80's,
:smokin:,:D

luminary
11/22/2002, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by ricksreef
luminary,
68*:eek1:,dude, ya gotta come to the
east coast,waters still in the high 70's-low 80's,
:smokin:,:D

Sweet! I'll have to try my damndest to get down there in december...