PDA

View Full Version : lobster eggs

birdguy30
12/31/2007, 10:25 PM
does any body know about lobster eggs,i received some from work today.
i work at a supermarket and the seafood manager told me one lobster had eggs on her,and ask me if i wanted some,try to hatch them in my sump.any body have any ideas.

Nammy
12/31/2007, 11:40 PM
A freshly laid lobster egg is the size of the head of a pin (1/16"). A 1-pound female lobster usually carries approximately 8,000 eggs. A 9-pound female may carry more than 100,000 eggs. The female lobster carries the eggs inside for 9 to 12 months and then for another 9 to 12 months externally attached to the swimmerets under her tail. When the eggs hatch, the larvae will float near the surface for 4 to 6 weeks. The few that survive will settle to the bottom and continue to develop as baby lobsters. From every 50,000 eggs only 2 lobsters are expected to survive to legal size.

Rainer Feyer
01/02/2008, 07:44 AM
I am just guessing here, but, they would make awsome food for the tank :) And I am being totally serious!

Great calculations, Nammy!

Sort of like the 6mil sperm? Though, that number was back in 1981 when I went through Albany Med, now the average number of human male sperm has dropped to about 5.4 or so? Gotta love contemporary use of plastics!

Nammy
01/02/2008, 08:03 AM
You could also eat them too. It's good!

Rainer - I bought a Epiphone, Les Paul Electric Guitar! Sweet...