PDA

View Full Version : Fan-Cooled Nano Cube Aquariums

orbit
12/30/2007, 06:33 PM
hi

my cousin wants to set up a nano cube (12 or 6 gallon one) for his apartment, anything else is too big

would this be a good choice

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3730+10677&pcatid=10677

anyone owns one? how are they and any suggestion on what else is good

also how many gallons water change do u do a week?

Thanks
Orbit

p.s
can some one post a pic theirs?

zma21
12/30/2007, 06:49 PM
I have the 12 gallon deluxe.

-It is a great tank, I have no regrets as to buying it at all.
-I got a great deal on Drsfostersmith.com and it came with a free stand.
-The only other all in one i would personally recommend is the oceanic biocube.
-In my 12 gallon tank, I change about 2-3 gallons per week.

orbit
12/30/2007, 07:50 PM
cool

what do u have in the tank?

i think he wants a clown and few corals, noting much

also did u buy the Modular Surface Skimmer add on? u think its worth it?

Thanks

Buster4900
12/30/2007, 08:42 PM
I have the 12 gallon deluxe also and really like it. I think the modular surface skimmer is a must to keep the scum off the top of the water. Does a great job. I have two onyx clowns, two clown gobys and a variety of snails. Corals are zoos and mushrooms. Most soft corals should go well in the deluxe. Only think I wish I would gave gotten the 24 gallon.

racksteris
12/30/2007, 10:00 PM
If you can afford it, Biocube and Aquapod are WAY better nanos to get then the nanocube. You get what you pay for. The Modular Surface Skimmer comes with that tank your looking at. I got that same tank about 3 months ago from Drsfostersmith.com. After 2 weeks I really did't like it and got an Aquapod. The Biocube is best of the 3 tanks and also it has the best stand. Aquapod comes second and Nanocbe last.

zma21
12/30/2007, 10:16 PM
Orbit,

Right now I have an onyx percula clown, and a Royal Gramma.

As for coral, I'm doing a zoanthid species tank, with the exception of a trumpet coral i'm holding for a friend...it's thriving btw.

The surface skimmer came with my nanocube, and it is great.

One major problem with aquapods is that they have like 3 overflow places so there is less suction at the surface overflow. This allows a film over the water, so basically it blocks more light and the corals won't do as well.

reefergeorge
12/30/2007, 10:34 PM
I would get the dx. I have a 12 dx and have no problems keeping mushrooms, star polyps, and a lot of zoas. I do 1 gallon a week wcs, but I don't have any fish.

racksteris
12/30/2007, 10:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11487593#post11487593 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zma21
Orbit,

Right now I have an onyx percula clown, and a Royal Gramma.

As for coral, I'm doing a zoanthid species tank, with the exception of a trumpet coral i'm holding for a friend...it's thriving btw.

The surface skimmer came with my nanocube, and it is great.

"One major problem with aquapods is that they have like 3 overflow places so there is less suction at the surface overflow. This allows a film over the water, so basically it blocks more light and the corals won't do as well. "

And you are an owner of an Aquapod to have first hand knowledge of this. I never had that problem. I did have my cheap nanocube surface skimmer fall off like a million times. Also since your talking about light the Aquapod comes with 54 watts with separate switch for Daylight and separate switch for Actinic. The cheap nanocube comes with 48 watts and one switch for everything. The nanocube can not be used on a timer.

You know we should be helping fellow reefs not give them bias information because we own a product, And because of that fact not see a products fault's.

tigereye37
12/31/2007, 01:04 PM
I have a new nanocube 12g DX and i'm pretty happy with it. Mine also came with the modular surface skimmer included. I like the setup, i'm happy with the lighting, and the filter chambers are roomy enough to access the components when needed. As mentioned above, if you use a timer for the lights then its a pain to activate the moonlights. If you are turning them on and off by hand everyday, then its cake. You can click on the red house on my post above to check out my thread if you want to see mine setup.

zma21
12/31/2007, 01:46 PM
Racksteris, I am solely going off of the information I read on this board by numerous members concerning the overflow of the aquapod. I couldn't have come up with that theory by myself, I was told my many aquapod owners that they end up blocking the lower intakes so that there is more surface suction.

racksteris
12/31/2007, 02:01 PM
The Aquapod intakes are designed to eliminat dead spots in the tank, Water is pulled from all level of the tank not just the top. This design is the most popular overflow design used on many different tanks.

reefergeorge
12/31/2007, 05:58 PM
Racksteris. I agree that the moonlights, and both lights is a bad design, but as a fellow electrician you know you can tap into the moonlight wires in the hood and run another power supply. FWIW I didn't know I would have to do this when I bought it.
If the three layer intake is so great why do most ap owners cover the bottom ones up?
I love my nano cube, and think they are great beginner tanks.

zma21
12/31/2007, 06:11 PM
Yea, splitting up the moonlights and the PC's was pretty easy. I had no trouble in the first place, but this was an easy upgrade.

FishFace28
12/31/2007, 11:38 PM
I have a 24 gal Aquapod that has been setup for about 7 months. I've been very happy with it so far and have not had much trouble keeping the water parameters stable. One concern I've recently developed is that the cooling fans seem to be acting up. They aren't always coming on reliably. The tank tends to get a bit warm anyway, and fan failure would be very bad. Does anyone know if you can replace the fans? I have not used a chiller before. If I purchased a chiller, would the fans still be as important?