PDA

View Full Version : rimless aquarium?

jrockwater
12/30/2007, 04:44 PM
I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive rimless tank . I was hoping that some rimless tank owners could recommend some online venders and maybe share some pics, experiences, and advice on them.

roxy25
12/30/2007, 07:05 PM
well the only rimless tanks are current USA solana and Cadlights. I am about to make me a rimless tank, well my friend is making it for me lol. its going to be 20x20x12

thin crust
12/30/2007, 09:49 PM
i have a 25g Cadlight and its been great. i only wish the lighting fixture was of better quality. i'm thinking of swapping it for a Sunpod. other than that, the tank itself is awesome!

the_anti_honda
12/31/2007, 01:27 PM
No those are not the only rimless tanks.

Check out ADA or Elos depending on size.

You can order ADA tanks from aquariumdesigngroup.com in the shop or store section. I have personally used many ADA aquariums and they are second to none and Elos is about equal in quality the style and build are slightly different.

You can have any reputable aquarium shop build you one for a fraction of the cost, just let them know (exactly) what you want.

CAD lights makes an OK run of the mill aquarium. I have never owned one but from the looks they are WAY overpriced for what you are getting.

The Current USA Solana is a pile of crap. The silicone looks like it was slapped on by a 3 year old with a toothbrush. The glass edges are not all that great and the all in one filter compartment needs MAJOR improvements. It also has a nasty textured back that looks bad in pictures and is pretty tough to keep clean. The light fixture gets entirely too hot and looks distracting as well.

HABS#1
12/31/2007, 01:59 PM
Hagen geosystems are rimless they come with a canopy but you don't have to use it.

Here are the rimless tanks they offer.

http://www.hagen.com/canada/english/aquatic/product.cfm?CAT=1&SUBCAT=111&PROD_ID=01032080010101

http://www.hagen.com/canada/english/aquatic/product.cfm?CAT=1&SUBCAT=103&PROD_ID=01029540010101

karlyhui
12/31/2007, 04:55 PM
I kind of found the hanging lights add a modern look. I like it especially if you going with a ADA, how are you suppose to use any light but the hanging type.

Has anyone order from aquarium design group before?

thanks

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11491452#post11491452 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by the_anti_honda
No those are not the only rimless tanks.

Check out ADA or Elos depending on size.

You can order ADA tanks from aquariumdesigngroup.com in the shop or store section. I have personally used many ADA aquariums and they are second to none and Elos is about equal in quality the style and build are slightly different.

You can have any reputable aquarium shop build you one for a fraction of the cost, just let them know (exactly) what you want.

CAD lights makes an OK run of the mill aquarium. I have never owned one but from the looks they are WAY overpriced for what you are getting.

The Current USA Solana is a pile of crap. The silicone looks like it was slapped on by a 3 year old with a toothbrush. The glass edges are not all that great and the all in one filter compartment needs MAJOR improvements. It also has a nasty textured back that looks bad in pictures and is pretty tough to keep clean. The light fixture gets entirely too hot and looks distracting as well.

jrockwater
12/31/2007, 08:20 PM
i agree with karlyhui on using a hanging light, and i plan to use my mh150 pfo pendant that i have for my 29 on the new rimless i buy. does anyone know the difference between the black sealant and the clear. personally from the pics i've seen the black looks better but i also wonder if its stronger than the clear sealant.

ILoveReefer
12/31/2007, 11:43 PM
http://www.miraclesaquariums.com/
I have one of there tanks and it's great. Mines not rimless but they do make them. I ordered a 90g with Euro bracing and starfire glass front, and 4 holes drilled for $400 us. Luckily I live about 75 miles south of of Ontario Canada so I was able to pick it up myself, so no shipping. Very nice quality, customer service, and a good price compared to some of the other custom aquarium makers. The only problem I had is when I came back across the US/Canada border. They asked me if I had anything to declare so I told them the truth "a fish tank". So of course they searched my truck, brought out the drug dogs, and opened a very large box containing the fish tank. He laughed and said go on through. Luckily the border guy forgot to charge me NY sales tax.
I would definitely recommend miracles aquariums and they are an RC sponsor.

jrockwater
01/01/2008, 03:12 AM
thanks for the tip i'll definitely check them out in the new year.

SoGoneRG
01/01/2008, 03:15 AM
cheap rimless...www.glasscages.com

u get what u pay for...

friedkalamari
01/01/2008, 07:32 AM
adg is a good site. plenty of people order from there. shipping on their small tanks isnt bad at all. if u live in the bay area there is an authorized dealer in SF.

i used to have a 40ish gallon ada tank. they are the absolute best tanks to own hands down. super high quality glass and finish. u can use non hanging lights, the tank comes with little clips to put the mounts on.

the 40gallon cost me about 3-400 if i remember correctly. but yeah..u get what u pay for. ill post some pics when im on my other computer.

jrockwater
01/01/2008, 11:00 AM
are elos tanks more expensive than the ada tanks? i wonder if you can get just the tank with elos. from what i saw on their website it seems they sell aquarium systems not just the tanks.

roxy25
01/01/2008, 03:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11496186#post11496186 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SoGoneRG
cheap rimless...www.glasscages.com

u get what u pay for...

Yeah you pay dirty cheap and get crap LOL

As for the Solana it is not crappy looking at all. I saw one at vivid aquarium as one of the set ups and it was really nice the silicone was not all over it was well put together.

I am not a big fan of AIO tanks so IMO the solana is nice but since I do not like AIO, I will just make a custom tank LOL