PDA

View Full Version : visiting denver soon

volivier
12/30/2007, 10:54 AM
i'm coming to denver for the western stock show in a couple weeks. Can you tell me some places to visit? Already told my husband we'd have the cattle trailer out there, in case i found a larger tank i could buy..:D

i'm from south central kansas.

Thanks.

artful-dodger
12/30/2007, 12:19 PM
Well, enjoy the National Western. Always a good time.

Here (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1268159) is another thread that has some suggestions. The downtown aquarium should be a definite stop (maybe even for dinner)...it is reasonably close to the arena since you'll have the truck.

Gary

volivier
12/30/2007, 01:02 PM
Thanks, will check it out. Looking forward to seeing some LFS from your area.

We're staying at the ramada inn downtown, and we got a gps for christmas. Hopefully we won't get lost.

Anywhere to stay away from traffic wise?

Hows the weather forecast? We'll be there the 18-24 maybe 25th. Hopefully we won't get snowed in or anything.

artful-dodger
12/30/2007, 11:40 PM
traffic during stock show is unique...what normally applies changes dramatically. There is a pretty good bet that I-70 into the mountains on sat/sun morning and eastbound on sat/sun evenings will be terrible. (If you plan to ski, pick a week day.)

Weather forecast during stock show is guaranteed to vary dramatically from one day to another. We will (during that week) have at least one day of sunshine and 40+ degrees; at least one day of unbelievable cold; and at least one day with significant snow. (The remaining 3 or 4 days of your visit are likely to give you all three within a few hours.)

Beyond that there are absolutely no guarantees.

:eek1:

As far as LFS visits...there are several worth visiting, depending upon what interests you. I'll be updating this soon but I think you'll find most of these observations are still applicable.these (http://www.artful-dodger.com/fish/lfs.html) (There's a link at the top to a google map that will show you where they are located.)

Quick addenda: Sherman Tank has closed (and is relocating). Hours at Quality Aqua have been cut back a lot. A nice new (but not large) store, Great Barrier Reef, has opened at 8876 E. Maximus Dr. in Lonetree (suburb southend of Denver). their phone is 303-799-1511. Their website is here (http://www.greatbarrierreef1.com/).

I know a couple of other stores up north have gone through some dramatic changes since I've been in to comment. I'm sure others will add their recommendations.

volivier
12/30/2007, 11:49 PM
The weather........so its like living in kansas...LOL

heatwave, cold front, wind and humidity. all in one day....:)

artful-dodger
12/30/2007, 11:52 PM
Yeah, except we have a few things that stick up far enough to block the wind if you move around to the right side... :p

Oh, and we don't have humidity...any humidity...ever. (Before you leave your nasal passages will be as dry as Phoenix or Las Vegas...) Visiting the fish stores daily is just how we all keep from choking on our own dust...