PDA

View Full Version : Aquapod 24 RE-DO. help me decide.

apu701
12/30/2007, 09:02 AM
my first attempt at a nano reef is a disaster. help me redo it please.

here is my equipment.

aquapod 24 gallon. stock return pump.
remora skimmer with maxijet 1200.
coralife hang on MH 150watt 14k ushio light.

35lbs of live rock. 40lbs of live sand.

i wanna restart my system i have a few snails, featherduster, a RBTA that split but has lost all its arms, basicly looks tentacle-less.

this tank is a killer or i should say i am ... i put alot of effort and very strick with waterchanges of 5 gallons every week but have no luck with keeping anything alive for long. I have fish that die overnight with proper accilimation multiple times. these were from other hobbiest and lfs. even "hardy" damsels were killed. I used 3 different test kits and multiple visits to many lfs to get it tested. all are within normal, expect for spikes in nitrates that had going as high as 40 right before my waterchange. nothing was rotting in tank as far as i can tell. big disaster came when i didnt properly accilimate the MH light from my stock 64watts. My mistake that started this entire downhill tumble. this was 2 months ago. i since have just done water changes and let it be with 1 watchman goby that survived in there.

should i add an auto top off? cheato? more poweheads? go back to stock lighting? get a better skimmer? :confused:

im open to all and every suggestions.

other things: i use RODI water, oceniac salt mix, have a refractometer, dose 1 cap of B-ionic every 2 days (started very recently), top off every 2 days with ro. skimmate is very light green 1 cup every week. hmm feeding every 2 days lightly i guess for the inverts still alive.(i think my watchmen finally died?) i cant tell he never came out anyway.

ps. i do have a 70 gallon fowlr that is doign great, so im not a complete idiot. no deaths

im thinkin of doing a 100% water change to start.
my questions is if this were ur tank what would u do??

apu701
12/30/2007, 08:47 PM
bump.