PDA

View Full Version : Hey Light Question

NewNanoReefer42
12/29/2007, 06:30 PM
Hey what do u guys think if i built a canopy for my aquapod and put a 175watt metal halide in it having the bulb about 10 inches from water do u think i would have any heat issues?

Kaos
12/29/2007, 07:58 PM
I would definitely put a fan or two in the hood, if it were me. I have a 175w MH in a PFO pendant < 4" off the water's surface w/ no heat problems, but I do have a fan aimed at the pendant and water's surface. Other then that, I think it's a great idea.

NewNanoReefer42
12/29/2007, 09:21 PM
so i could maybe even go 6 to 8 inches above water and what about a fan on top of canopy to pull out hot air:)

Kaos
12/29/2007, 09:56 PM
I built a hood for a 20L RR that I'm moving up to and here's how I have it laid out. The hood is completely enclosed w/ a 4" IC fan on each end. One fan is blowing in and the other is blowing out. This way there will be a constant flow of air across the MH bulb. The hood is a total of 6" tall, so I guess the MH bulb to be about 4" off the water's surface. In the test trials I have done there have been no heat issues. But, the trials haven't been very long and the tank is empty. In other words YMMV.

D to the P
12/29/2007, 11:59 PM
Having cold air being blown in on the lights and across the water is more benefitial than having the air drawn out by a fan.