PDA

View Full Version : converting 30 gallon

boozerell
12/29/2007, 10:35 AM
I presently have a 30 gallon freshwater tank, I'm thinking of converting to a saltwater tank. It's a 30 gallon tall, do you think the height will be an issue?

on_ice
12/29/2007, 11:43 AM
What is necessary to convert a freshwater tank to saltwater?

boozerell
12/29/2007, 11:49 AM
I was wondering with the tank being taller, and having less surface area, if this would be an issue. I don't think so, but wanted to know what people think. Also I wasn't sure if using the same filter from the freshwater tank, would be problem...again I don't think so. I have a sump coming for my 55 gallon tank and could take the external filter off that. It's a penguign bio-wheel 350, may be over kill, on the 30? Thanks for the info.

boozerell
12/29/2007, 11:54 AM
on_ice,

My plan is to have a 3 inch sand bed, live rock, skimmer and external filter. I'll remove the underground filter, and just add saltwater. It'll be fish only initially, but will add corals down the road. At that point I'll have to upgrade the lights. At least this is the plan.:)

KCZoanthid
12/29/2007, 04:08 PM
I have a 30g tall reef. Works fine. You just need a little more light to penetrate all the way down to the bottom. No big deal. Keep mushrooms, zoas and ricordea down on the bottom.

I have a 5" DSB in mine. Still gives me a solid 19" of water depth.

Of course, you'll need to clean it after you drain the freshwater. Just use warm water and a new sponge from the grocery store. Not one of those fancy "anitmicrobial" or "antibacterial" sponges. Just get a regular old, cheap sponge. You can use baking soda in the warm water to help scrub hard water stains. It will rinse right out.

DON'T USE BLEACH OR OTHER CHEMICALS!!!!!!! Not even soap. Just use a sponge, some baking soda and elbow grease. Rinse well.

I'm using a CPR HOB refugium with built in skimmer. The Aquafuge2 PS. I also have 4 powerheads in the tank for water flow. Total flow in the tank is right around 1200GPH.

I'm using a T5 unit with 144w.

No canisters or power filters. The refugium and skimmer is my filter.

I can post a few shots of mine, but it's only about 5 months old. Let me know if you want to see it and I'll put up a link to photobucket.

EDIT:
There's a couple pics in my gallery.

boozerell
12/29/2007, 05:16 PM
Sure, I'd like to see pictures of your tank. I did look in your gallery, and was wondering where you positioned your 4 powerheads?

KCZoanthid
12/29/2007, 10:09 PM
There is a Maxi-Jet 1200 (300GPH x 2) on each side. they are up high and have those Hydor rotating attachments to create a swirl in the water. They point at each other and really rip the surface when the 2 streams happen to collide near the surface. Good for gas exchange.

Another powerhead (110GPH) on the back wall. It points straight out towards the front glass. I have the outlet angled up to boil the surface of the water. Good for gas exchange.

The last one is 300GPH and is in the back--on the right side. It points to the left side of the tank. That one is down low, almost on the sand bed, and keeps detritus from settling behind my rock wall.

The HOB CPR has a MJ900 (235GPH) pushing through it.

MJ1200 x 2 = 600GPH
MJ900 x 1 = 235GPH
POS on back wall up high = 110GPH
POS on right side in back = 300GPH

About 1250GPH circulating through in my tank :D I slowed down the refugium. I had a MJ1200 when I bought it. But 300GPH is too fast through the refugium. It was washing pods out. So, the MJ900 at 235GPH is working a lot better.

The rest of the water is just pushed around inside the tank. Around 1000GPH in the tank just for flow.

Here is a photobucket slideshow:
http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa180/Rcpilet/?action=view&current=0e7a3c41.pbw

You can search my album if you want. Username is Rcpilet

boozerell
12/30/2007, 09:55 AM
I really like your pictures, they look great. Thanks for the info on the powerhead placement.