PDA

View Full Version : fungia anthocauli

KMatysek
11/14/2002, 10:19 PM
Anybody out there have any experience with fungia anthocauli?

We've got between 20 and 30 that started in August. I'm trying to decide whether to: Snap them off so that their over-crowing (as they grow) doesn't affect their adult shape. Or to let them 'hop' off in their own time. (Plus I have a couple folks to whom I've promised offspring.) I tried popping them off a month ago, but it was impossible to get a good grip on them (too little, and I was worried I was damaging 'em). As they get bigger I'm getting tempted.

I've included a recent pic. Wish I had a better zoom, this doesn't do them justice. They're really cool.

Kathy

griss
11/20/2002, 09:51 AM
Kathy,

I really don't have much experience with Fungia, so I really cannot comment. But, since no one has chimed in here, you may want to post this question in the Coral forum. I am sure Eric will have some insight on this.

Griss

KMatysek
11/20/2002, 11:49 AM
Thanks, I'll do that!

austinratboy
11/20/2002, 05:40 PM
Man that is cool!! I like Fungia and have several. I thought 1 of mine was budding off some little ones but mine looked like a quater shaped bubble on 1 side of the coral. I wish mine was doing what yours is! Do you do anything special?? I feed mine and have good pH, Ca, 500 W VHO/PC on a 90 reef.

KMatysek
11/20/2002, 08:42 PM
Trust me. Nothin' special. We feed with DT's phytoplankton (2 capfuls every other day and it's a 90g tank). We have 400w PC's. That's it. I really think it's cause we almost killed it. So, try a little neglect (no, not really recommending that!).

I don't know what's going on with yours. If you can get a picture posted that would be great!

haaga
11/26/2002, 07:15 AM
Hello

I also have A Fungia, which after injury begin to make new anthocauli in 1999. It has continued to produce new anthocauli for over three years. Not so fast as in the beginnin but still new polyps detach themselves in every month. I haven't count, but about 60-70 anthocauli at least have been produced. You can see them in my web page: http://www.saunalahti.fi/~haaga/Kor...07-0713_img.htm

Marko Haaga

tatuvaaj
11/26/2002, 10:40 AM
Marko's link doesn't work, here is the correct one: http://www.saunalahti.fi/~haaga/Korallit/107-0713_img.htm

austinratboy
11/26/2002, 11:05 AM
Maybe I need to watch out for a damaged fungia and see if that helps stimulate reproduction. If you have any babies around Id love to trade you something. Zoo's, Encrusitng gorgonia (erythpoedium sp), leather frags...

austinratboy
11/26/2002, 11:06 AM
Just saw where you were from. That'd be a long trip for a little quarter sized coral!! GReat coral though...

KMatysek
11/26/2002, 01:34 PM
It might be more trouble than it's worth, but I'd be willing to give it a try if you have something that would mail OK. I'm not sure how resilient fungia are for shipping (but somehow the small size seems like an advantage). I got some good advice on my other post (in Eric's coral forum) on how to pop them off, so I'll be giving it a try after the holiday weekend.

- Kathy

ReeferMac
12/01/2002, 07:22 AM
I couldn't find the thread in Eric's Forum Kathy... can you help a brother out... :D
I have a fungia/Plate Coral that was damaged by a falling Acropora, and it too has produced 'baby' corals on top of itself. I'd like to share a few of these as well, but am very afraid of chipping at the skeleton w/ a screwdriver!

- Mac

KMatysek
12/02/2002, 08:50 AM
Mac,

Hmm, it's still 'there' but not visible. You can see it atfungia thread (http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=129462)

It includes a suggestion for how to remove them using scissors. I haven't tried this yet, but plan to. I'd be interested in any updates on yours.

ReeferMac
12/02/2002, 07:30 PM
Thanks Kathy, seems to work from your link.
Odd that both your's and mine seem to be doing it... maybe it's something in the water up here..
LOL! Just realized... My profile doesn't say I'm in Henrietta!

- Mac

KMatysek
12/03/2002, 07:21 AM
Wow, Henrietta. I knew you were in the upstate area (through the other forum) but didn't realize you were that close. (I don't think we met at Gary's, but there were a lot of new faces for me.)
I promised fungia offspring to Gary and Dave Playfair, although that was back in early October and then I couldn't figure out how to do it without damaging them. Yes, must be something in the water, because it sure sounds like an unusual event!

- Kathy

smpolyp
12/12/2002, 12:19 AM
Hey I have a butch of Fungia. After you give some out to your friends what would be a fair price to sell for the other ones?

smpolyp
12/12/2002, 12:25 AM
I just re- read that and I'm sorry if it came off as pompass idiot. Just so excited to see other propigating them!

KMatysek
12/12/2002, 12:21 PM
Didn't sound pompous to me! I haven't a clue what to charge for them - I'm only just getting into this and the idea of trading for other frags and/or getting $$ credit at our LFS has the biggest appeal to me. I don't have enough bottom tank surface area to get them to a decent size before selling/trading, so I'm thinking they're not worth a whole lot tiny (mine are dime- to quarter-sized when 'puffed up' right now).

Any idea how yours started propagating (injury, or?). This is really cool and I too am excited to find others (and surprised at how uncommon it is).

smpolyp
12/14/2002, 04:00 PM
My first one actually grew out of a piece of live rock. I snapped it off and another followed behind. Then I broke a few into quarters. Next test was stressing the slices to the point the tissue pulled back and up to 15-20 mushroomed up. My orange I took a hammer and knife to the side. Every way seemed to work just as good as the other.