PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Thoughts For 16 Gallon

alpine
12/28/2007, 01:36 PM
Ok guys , I got a 16 gal bowfront that was given to me by a good friend several years back.After talking to him recently I decided to set the tank up.

Ok I started building the stand last week,the tank is 24" l X 12.5"w ,and the stand is 44" l X 12.5"w.

I have plenty of space underneath for up to a 30gal sump,if a put the stand flush against the wall.If I put the stand in an angle to the wall in a corner I could use a larger rubbermaid trough for a sump.

Should I go with everything under the stand with the stand flush to the wall or should I angle it and use a larger sump?

I totally like the idea of angleing it as I prefer a larger amount of water for stability,and it will allow me to add at least a 10gal RDSB.

Ok now the real question that is driving me crazy.I have a finnex dual 65watt pc fixture that came with the tank.After taking it apart and inspecting it.I realized that with some minor mods I could mod it to house either 1 or 2 150watt or 250watt DE halides inside of it along with the pc's.

Should I go with a single DE halide or a dual setup,and should I go 150 or 250?

I know its going to be asked so let me put it out there.I plan to keep a mixed reef in the tank.Sps,lps,and softies,or I might just go sps and zoas,havent decided yet.

Ok so those are my 2 big debates in my head about this setup,and would appreciate any advice you guys can recommend.Especially for the lighting since thats what is driving me crazy the most.

TIA

cerreta
12/28/2007, 04:46 PM
Small tanks like this wil lonly require a single MH setup. I suggest a 250 DE Phoenix 14K lamp with electronic ballast.

I have played with many light systems and lamps and nothing looks better than this setup.

As for the sump. Go big and angle it if that is what you like. I have never heard of anyone complain that there sump is too big. :)

alpine
12/28/2007, 07:18 PM
I actually decided to just go with the larger sump.Just not sure if I should get the 100gal or the 150gal rubbermaid.Gonna get to my local tractor supply next week and see how much different they are,and which one would work best.

I was actually talking to the wife and mentioned to her that a 250watt would be better.That way when I decided to shut the tank down,I could still use the halide for a deeper tank.

Think I'm just going to use a 250watt Radium with the 2 X 65watt pc's and call it a day.