PDA

View Full Version : Biocube ?s

dskibs
12/28/2007, 11:21 AM
At my local LFS i was just looking around when I saw a Biocube 29g for $299

I'm pretty sure I am going to go pick it up today but first...

1. This is a good deal right?
2. I don't think the BC 29g comes with a skimmer or a heater? is that true?

and.

3. I was originally planning on going with a RSM 34g but after seeing this deal I don't think I can resist...I'm just worried about 5 gallons changing my stocking options?

mfp1016
12/28/2007, 11:45 AM
I'm from CA and got my biocube for 250. Drsfostersmith.com has it for 275 or so. Just saying, you couple probably get a better deal if you did some serious shopping.

No skimmer or heater. The BC skimmer for $35 is a decent little thing. I ran my system for months w/o a skimmer and saw fantastic results (growth and coloration). I just recently got the BC skimmer and it pulls a decent amount of gunk out in a day, but i think it is still developing a slime coat. We will see.

I dont think you'll be missing out on anything too much. A flame angel or coral beauty might be a bit happier in a 34, but I dont think the RSM is a very good shape. Its far too deep and the dimensions are weird, too tall. I would take the BC any day over the RSM. Consider this, RSM is 600 or 700; BC is 300+200 for a Sunpod+100 for a skimmer (35 for a BC skimmer)+20 heater=620.

Good Luck

Y-DesygnGuy
12/28/2007, 01:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11471242#post11471242 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mfp1016
I'm from CA and got my biocube for 250. Drsfostersmith.com has it for 275 or so. Just saying, you couple probably get a better deal if you did some serious shopping.

No skimmer or heater. The BC skimmer for $35 is a decent little thing. I ran my system for months w/o a skimmer and saw fantastic results (growth and coloration). I just recently got the BC skimmer and it pulls a decent amount of gunk out in a day, but i think it is still developing a slime coat. We will see.

I dont think you'll be missing out on anything too much. A flame angel or coral beauty might be a bit happier in a 34, but I dont think the RSM is a very good shape. Its far too deep and the dimensions are weird, too tall. I would take the BC any day over the RSM. Consider this, RSM is 600 or 700; BC is 300+200 for a Sunpod+100 for a skimmer (35 for a BC skimmer)+20 heater=620.

Good Luck

:confused: :confused:

To each their own I guess. I own a Biocube and a RSM. The RSM is much more of a tank than the Biocube is(additional filtration, media, better skimmer, lights) without having to cut your tank up to fit other equipment. Granted my biocube is only the 14, but there is hardly any room at all to add anything to the tank. The RSM on the other hand I can lots and lots of things to. It's really what you want out of the tank in the end, what your plans are.

Red Sea Max Dimensions
24" long
19.7" wide
19.7 tall

Oceanic Bio Cube 29 Gallon Dimensions
20.8" long
19" wide
20.1" tall

Pretty darn close actually in dimensions.