PDA

View Full Version : Transporting valuable gear on airlines

murphd3
11/13/2002, 11:10 PM
I'm looking for the luggage that will offer the best protection against theft by international luggage handlers. On my last trip to Cancun, I had a lock taken off and the bag searched by a thief. It's time to make that Christmas wish list and I'm in the market for some new luggage. If anyone has suggestions as to which type of baggage offers the best protection, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Murphy

billsreef
11/14/2002, 06:27 AM
I like to take as much carry on as possible. That way it's never out my site. Bulky stuff like BC's I rent on site. So all I have to pack is my regulator, mask, and fins which all fits in a gym bag that just makes into the overhead on the plane. Camera gear if you have it is best as carry on too. If you do need to send stuff in luggage than the pelican hard cases are best and should be secured with a good lock, probably a combination lock is the best bet. Theft insurance on your gear is a good idea too. And most importantly, don't go putting on any decals or stickers that identify that luggage as beloning to a diver, it's like putting up a sign saying "valuable stuff here".

murphd3
11/14/2002, 11:49 AM
Thanks Bill,

I looked at their website - www.pelican.com - and their cases look tough. I do carry cameras and a camcorder wherever I go and want to protect them. Do you know of any luggage you would recommend for everything else? I really don't want any of my bags easily accessible to the luggage handlers and since this is going to be my Christmas preset, I'd like to get a set if possible.

Thanks,
Murphy

billsreef
11/14/2002, 09:25 PM
For anything going through luggage I don't think there is anything better than the Pelican cases. An UW Photo Shop Pro I met at Little Cayman several years ago was in the process of packing up to take a job in Palau, he was using those Pelican cases for everything and swore by them as the best thing going. And he was moving an entire Photo Shop, lab and all, talk about a tough way to make a living :eek1:

For carry on I like to go with as plain and insignificant looking as possible. Jackets are good for cushioning any fragile gear. Basically I like to look like the poor slob I am when traveling to avoid the attention of any thieves.

e12pilot
11/25/2002, 01:32 AM
Murphy,
If you are interested in something a little less rigid, and more "compactable" check out the Stahl Sac line: http://www.stahlsac.com/

This is what I use to carry all my "non-delicate" gear(i.e. BC, lights, fins, masks, etc.) on planes. These things are solid! I have the XL Dive Cargo Pack with wheels. You can purchase locks for the bag which should help against the thieves. For anything more delicate go Pelican. Especially camera gear, it may be expensive upfront, but the cuttable inside padding and their durability will save you a bunch later down the road.

Hope this helps.

Peter Maag
PADI MSDT-179147

ReeferAl
11/29/2002, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by billsreef
Basically I like to look like the poor slob I am when traveling to avoid the attention of any thieves.
I think the same thing can go for checked bags: the crummier and older looking the better.
If it looks like it is protecting something valuable then the thief would logically conclude that it is. When I was in the Army guys I knew would put their scuba bag or other valuables inside their Army duffle bag because that looked about as unassuming as you can get. Who wants to steal a bunch of Army clothes?!
Although I've been out for about 10 years now I have kept mine for just that purpose. You could put a hard case inside any other cheap or crummy looking outer bag and get the same effect but still maintain the protection offered by the inner case if you wanted.
Allen

murphd3
11/30/2002, 02:13 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Since I'm asking for this luggage as a Christmas present, I need to keep the price as reasonable as possible. I've been looking at all the options, and am considering the samsonite hardside ABS luggage strictly for the reputation and price. I found a 30" hardside bag that I can get for $80 (retails for $200) which has a combination lock as well as key locks. This thing looks bulletproof and will leave some room in the money department for a couple other bags as well. Maybe I can look into the pelican containers in the future when I get the money and can buy them myself. Do any of you have any experience with the samsonite luggage?

Thanks,
Murphy

neuroracer
12/04/2002, 09:53 AM
I have had a large crappy bag stolen en route to Scotland this August, so my 2 tips are:

1. Carry-on if you can squeeze it in!!
2. Make your bag crappy looking if you can. But don't forget that if there is expensive stuff that can be identified through x-ray, which is what I think happened to ours (digital camera equipment and wedding presents) then don't put it past an airline employee to take off with it. Next time my bag will not be basic black but bright flaming pink and chartreuse and big flowers and lightning bolts on it. Maybe some flashing lights. :( We had a lot of stuff in our bag, it was almost 4 feet tall and weighed about 75 pounds. Gone, we watched it disappear down the belt into the luggage area and that was the last time we saw it. Now our other bag, send at the same time, that had shoes and other less-expensive items arrived safe and sound. Imagine that.
I guess I'm a little bitter about the whole thing.:( :( :mad: :( :mad: :(