PDA

View Full Version : AP 12 Mods

Colerphon
12/21/2007, 03:44 PM
I tried to do a search for some good mods for the Aquapod 12 and all that came up was the obvious. Has anyone tried to add a hose through all the back chambers and to add another outflow on the right side of the tank?

Colerphon
12/21/2007, 11:33 PM
I Just got this AP today and for the first mod I covered the bottom 2 outlets on the left side. Do most of you cover the second set also, to increase suction on the surface further removing surface scum?

Colerphon
12/23/2007, 02:55 AM
bump, I know there are some AP owners that love their pods that would be willing to share. =)

Colerphon
12/23/2007, 03:59 AM
ok another question, after doing some more research I read that some people use the current fission skimmer in their AP, is this really a POS or not?

Bmgrocks
12/23/2007, 10:49 AM
all of my inlets are blocked except the very top, to like what you said, increase the suction

I keep all my nano's skimmerless, I think in tanks under 30g, a high powered skimmer does more harm than good, and if you keep up with your waterchanges, have a well planned out system, that you really don't need a skimmer.

My 12 and 24 Aquapod depends on AC 70 Fuges, with modded flow, the chaeto does the work for me, all my Nitrates and Phosphates are Non Existant. I do weekly 2.5 on the 12, and 5 gallon wc's on the 24, and have nver had a problem.

enjoy the pod!

you can use whatever skimmer u want, the Current nano skimmer i heard is some trash, if yoiu wan't a skimmer that'll fit, the back, AquaC remora, CPR bak Pak, and Sapphire Simmers all fit

Bmgrocks
12/23/2007, 10:52 AM
all of my inlets are blocked except the very top, to like what you said, increase the suction

I keep all my nano's skimmerless, I think in tanks under 30g, a high powered skimmer does more harm than good,pulling out only dissolved organics both good and bad, and if you keep up with your waterchanges, have a well planned out system, that you really don't need a skimmer. It can be useful, say if you were to miss a wc's and is prob easier on your system. I've used them in the past, and when i decided to remove it, i noticed no ill effects..

My 12 and 24 Aquapod depends on AC 70 Fuges, with modded flow, the chaeto does the work for me, all my Nitrates and Phosphates are Non Existant. I do weekly 2.5 on the 12, and 5 gallon wc's on the 24, and have nver had a problem.

enjoy the pod!

you can use whatever skimmer u want, the Current nano skimmer i heard is some trash, if yoiu wan't a skimmer that'll fit, the back, AquaC remora, CPR bak Pak, and Sapphire Simmers all fit

zma21
12/23/2007, 12:02 PM
I've had the fission nano skimmer, and honestly it makes a pretty interesting $30 paper weight.

It did nothing but spew bubbles into my tank, and I never once got any skimmate from it.

I thought that i just got a bad one, but after posting on here it sounds like i had the same problems everyone else did.

Mini Me6
12/23/2007, 04:55 PM
along with blocking the inlets, I removed part of the black backing in chamber #1 and I made my small refugium with Cheato and light.

It's kind of gheto looking but it works:lol: .
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee288/WOLFOX_X/IMG_0047.jpg

ToeJam
12/27/2007, 12:45 PM
I also have a 12g Aquapod. Mine has been set up for about 3 months. It was an upgrade from a 3g JBJ picotope.

For mods, I have a 70w MH in the hood. This was on my pico before, but I wanted a halide on teh AP. In order to keep the heat down, I have a total of 4 60mm case fans in the hood. 2 in the light area (stock fan and another in the other stock area) and 2 in the 2 front corners of the hood. The back 2 fans come on with the actinics and the front 2 are temperature controlled by my ReefKeeper.

I am also running a Sapphire skimmer. They don't officially make one for the AP12, but the NC12 one works just fine with a couple adjustments. I had to cut down the baffle in the middle chamber to lower the water level enough to house the skimmer. I also built a little stand for the skimmer to sit on in the overflow.

For extra circulation, I have an internal closed loop that keeps detritus from settling on the bottom of the tank. I am thinking about removing this or at least re-architecting it. The pump adds a little heat and is a little louder than I would like.

I am using a battery powered DIY top-off system, but I am thinking about going another route here. It is vaccum reliant and that kind of limits the size of the bottle you can use due to the amount of air pressure the air pump can generate.

For other mods, I have done the standard things. Cover the lower overflow intakes, replace the pump with a MJ900, add a Koralia 1, etc.

The tank is primarily SPS with a couple LPS and some zoos and rics. There are a couple lingering softies that are slowly being weeded out. For inhabitants, I have an ORA black clown, a high fin goby and a small CUC.

The tank sits next to my desk at my office. Here are a couple pics. The glass was a little dirty when I took these, so please excuse the mess.

Here is the fan setup. I still need to add the grilles for the fans on front.
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e251/jamiehill72/P1000584.jpg

Here is a FTS.
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e251/jamiehill72/P1000594.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e251/jamiehill72/P1000593.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e251/jamiehill72/P1000595.jpg

scowiii
12/27/2007, 01:32 PM
looks nice. Is that a bare bottom? You have the rock perched on a framework?

ToeJam
12/27/2007, 05:40 PM
It is bare bottom. The internal closed loop is what the rock is sitting on. I have been thinking of taking it out of the tank and adding sand (after cycling the sand, of course).

reefergeorge
12/28/2007, 03:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11433786#post11433786 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Colerphon
Has anyone tried to add a hose through all the back chambers and to add another outflow on the right side of the tank?
I have seen people with nano cubes put another mj 900 in and run the return out the opposite side. I don't know if it would work for the aqua pod. Also on my nc 12 the second chamber is a fuge, but again I don't know if it works for the ap.

gregrocks79
12/28/2007, 04:35 PM
<B>I got the Rio 6HF Pump in my 3rd chamber and I haver plenty of flow. Just thinkin about doing a small refugium with cheato and light for chamber 2...

carnophage
12/30/2007, 12:10 AM
i just got a used AP 12 with the 54W Compact Fluorescent System. i am having a hard time finding bulbs for it. i see that on Nanocustoms they have a 2007 Nanocustoms Aquapod 12 - AP2.32 (64w) with a 2 x 32w SunPaq lighting system Dual Daylight + Dual Actinic. can i just put the 32W bulbs in my AP, or do you have to upgrade other stuff first? the only difference that i can see is that the 32w bulbs are longer than the 27w. it says nothing on nanocustoms about modifying the electrical systems or upgrading the ballasts. Thanks for you Help!!!

carnophage
12/30/2007, 12:43 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11481785#post11481785 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by carnophage
i just got a used AP 12 with the 54W Compact Fluorescent System. i am having a hard time finding bulbs for it. i see that on Nanocustoms they have a 2007 Nanocustoms Aquapod 12 - AP2.32 (64w) with a 2 x 32w SunPaq lighting system Dual Daylight + Dual Actinic. can i just put the 32W bulbs in my AP, or do you have to upgrade other stuff first? the only difference that i can see is that the 32w bulbs are longer than the 27w. it says nothing on nanocustoms about modifying the electrical systems or upgrading the ballasts. Thanks for you Help!!!

Answered my own question, you would have to upgrade the ballasts, but not hard, only $6 per ballast on the website https://s.hostingprod.com/@www.sunpkco.com/ssl/product_info.php?products_id=700&osCsid=b15dae69ec81b14543ddbeebdcde731e
and 2 new bulbs and you can upgrade your 54w to a 64w. there are instructions on how to wire it onnano custons website (http://www.nanocustoms.com/index.php?cPath=8_10)
and you might want to upgrade the fan too.

Colerphon
12/30/2007, 03:33 AM
Toe Jam, how are you powering those fans? Do you have an under the hood view?

ToeJam
12/31/2007, 11:11 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11482588#post11482588 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Colerphon
Toe Jam, how are you powering those fans? Do you have an under the hood view?

This is the best I can get today. Cell phone photo. It is a bit of a mess under the hood.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e251/jamiehill72/photo-1.jpg

I am powering them off a couple adjustable voltage DC plugs from Radio Shack. Here is a link. I think this is the one I am using.
Radio Shack (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2552560&cp=&sr=1&origkw=12v+ac+dc&kw=12v+ac+dc&parentPage=search)

All I did was cut the end off and wire it up to my fans. You can then control the speed of the fan based on how much voltage you are putting through them.

thin crust
12/31/2007, 11:33 AM
pretty cool mod, toejam. i think im gonna add a few more fans to my AP. it runs at 81 when the lights are on. i know that's not overheating but i'd like to bring it down the 78 degree range.

NWBRADSHAW
12/31/2007, 05:00 PM
What are you guys using to block the lower water inlets?

ToeJam
12/31/2007, 05:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11492992#post11492992 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NWBRADSHAW
What are you guys using to block the lower water inlets?

I am just using a piece of 1/8" acrylic that I cut to fit. The magnet from the Koralia pump is holding it in place.

carnophage
12/31/2007, 10:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11493026#post11493026 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ToeJam
I am just using a piece of 1/8" acrylic that I cut to fit. The magnet from the Koralia pump is holding it in place.

I use Outlet Plug Covers (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005C4Y5?smid=ADFRQ5K4I2LNR&tag=dealtime-baby-mp-20&linkCode=asn) they fit right into the slots of the inlets. i cut the prongs to a little less than a 1/4in so that they do not protrude inthe the chamber where the filter pad goes. this seems to be the simplest way, and it can be easly removed or slid fromone side to the other to control flow or totally stop it. i use the ultra clear ones, you can almost not even see them at all. Hope this answers your questions. lets see some pictures of your nano AP 12's!!! Thanks!!

ermartin
12/31/2007, 10:45 PM
silicon