PDA

View Full Version : Guaging Interest in a Local Club Gathering

Brewen
12/20/2007, 12:22 AM
First I would like to say thanks to Eli (em805) for having me over to his home to view his tank, awesome looking tank. Mike (SolidDetail808) was there also taking picks of Eli's tank. Cannot wait to see the pic's he took of Eli's tank please post soon.
The 3 of us were chatting about getting a local reef club going. I know there have been several attempts to do this in the past. I know there is interest in the local reefing community to have a club. Please give me your thoughts on how to get this going from Santa Barbara to Paso Robles. I know this is a broad area maybe the meetings could rotate locations to meet peoples needs or chose a single spot. All input is welcome this is a club for all not just a few, from just starting to advance reefer.
Please post a response and let me know what you think TIA.

SolidDetail808
12/20/2007, 01:30 AM
Gary,
I'll go from SB to Slo if we can get a good group of people. I'll bring my camera. I'm working on getting the pics up right now. I need to take some pics of your tank. I like the way Eli's pics came out.
Mike

Owen2thebank
12/20/2007, 01:35 AM
Let's get together!! Weekends are usually best for me because of other obligations.

My apartment is in Nipomo, my office is in Santa Maria, my field work is in Santa Barbara and I travel to SLO every weekend that I am not in Arizona. (I have been to the last 3 or 4 Arizona "FRAG" meetings and have had a great time at every meeting. They are a very active group that would be great to emulate.)

reefmaster805
12/20/2007, 09:36 PM
I am definetly interested. I'm located in Lompoc and always ready to travel for frag trades and usefull info. Weekend are best for me. Sounds like most of us are in Lompoc and Santa Maria. Lots of softies available for trade. I only have a few sps for personal enjoyment, but looking to care for more.

audiowerks
12/21/2007, 01:37 PM
If you guys are willing to drive to SB, I have 1200 sq. ft shop space in downtown SB. would be willing to host. Sunday shop is closed and we could get a parkinglot potluck barbecue going.

SolidDetail808
12/21/2007, 03:15 PM
Audiowerks- I'm willing to drive to SB if we can get something going. We can move around the meeting spots just like Gary was saying.

SurfnFish
12/21/2007, 05:16 PM
I wouldn't mind doing it in SB. That way I could have something else to do while I'm down there filling up with NSW. I'm good with Sunday's as soon as football is over. Otherwise, Saturday's work currently.

Owen2thebank
12/21/2007, 06:50 PM
Anyone for carpooling sometime? I'll be in AZ for about the next 2+ weeks.

em805
12/21/2007, 07:07 PM
Thanks Gary for posting about this... You know I'm in. I keep running accross people who want to get started in reefkeeping but, aren't getting the advice they need to stay in the hobby long enough :(. I for one would like to see an organized club for reef keepers in this area. I am available for meetings on weekends at any location between Paso and SB. BTW I agree that a rotating location would be the fairest and best way for everyone to meet but, lets get some more input.

I think it is in everyones best interest to participate, not only to learn but, also to teach others and hopefully keep them from making the same costly mistakes we've all made.

em805
12/21/2007, 07:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11434876#post11434876 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Owen2thebank
Anyone for carpooling sometime? I'll be in AZ for about the next 2+ weeks.

I'm in on the carpooling :)--I'm in Santa Maria BTW.

Owen2thebank
12/22/2007, 01:25 AM
I'm stoked; lets get together. Rotating meeting places seems like a great idea so that we will be able to see different tanks.

Dead2theWorld
12/22/2007, 05:14 PM
Count me in Just name the place and the time. I'm in the santa maria area.

reefmaster805
12/22/2007, 10:47 PM
dead to the world, please email me at reefmaster805@yahoo.com, I am unable to use the RC IM, Regarding your last phone message. Hope to hear from you and see you soon.

SolidDetail808
12/23/2007, 12:08 AM
So when do you guys want to meet? I know not for another couple weeks due to the holidays. But what about the end of Jan?

Owen2thebank
12/23/2007, 02:09 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11442177#post11442177 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SolidDetail808
So when do you guys want to meet? I know not for another couple weeks due to the holidays. But what about the end of Jan?

Although I really believe in meeting sooner than later, I think that your suggestion is best.

Your suggestion of the "end of Jan" sounds great. (That date, also will give you plenty of time to get ready if we are going to have the meeting at your place so that we can see your tank.

Owen

SurfnFish
12/23/2007, 11:13 AM
Why don't we have our first meeting combined with the super bowl? Or would we be too distracted? I haven't ever been to a Reef meeting, so I don't really know how it works. What could be better than football and reef talk though? Just a thought.

CAreefer
12/24/2007, 05:53 PM
I think I'm probably the furthest north of the bunch being in Paso, but would love to be part of this. My work schedule is extremely limiting unfortunately. I currently work PM's and get every 5th and 6th weekend off, they are coming up in January, so if something gets set-up by/for then, I'm in too. I'd be willing to host as well in a few months when my system is presentable again.

CAreefer
12/24/2007, 05:57 PM
BTW, I think it's important to remember that we won't be able to accomodate everybody's request for dates, time's and places. If that is a requirement, we'll never get off the ground. Go with what fits the majority. If it doesn't fit your particular schedule, don't take it personal, I won't.

I also feel some sort of structure will be important. At least to the point of 1 or 2 people responsible for determining meeting dates and locales.

BBishop
12/25/2007, 06:03 PM
I'm in.
And I'm with CAreefer, I have a busy schedule, so what works for you, I'll try to make work for me.

david6789
12/27/2007, 03:27 PM
I would love to come! I am new to the area and the the hobby.

I could use (need) lots of help, lol

:D

I am in Lompoc, Ca.

SolidDetail808
12/27/2007, 04:48 PM
PMed you Dave. Welcome to the area! Looks like we are growning in the Central Coast!! Like I said in the PM feel free to call!

Brewen
12/27/2007, 10:04 PM
[welcome] david6789
Glade to have you in the area. I see you are new to the hobby what are you setting your tank up for? Please if you have any questions or need some help please feel free to ask.

em805
12/27/2007, 10:27 PM
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r18/Eliazer805/GIFs/welcome.gif

David :)

RC is a great resource read up as much as you can it can save you loads of money!

SolidDetail808
12/28/2007, 12:34 AM
It looks like we have a good number of people interested and more flocking in. I know we are all busy right now. But for the mean time I was thinking of getting a list of peoples name and number or emails, that are interested. I can try to get a place and time set and just contact everyone. For right now I'll try to work with Audiowerks if he can get his shop in SB, sometime the end of Jan. PM me your screen name/real name/ email or number. Looking foward to meeting you all!

Mike

SolidDetail808
12/28/2007, 02:03 AM
Forgot to add location/city . Also is there a way that we can keep this a sticky thread?

SolidDetail808
12/28/2007, 02:10 AM
OK I started a spreedsheet and we have 11 people that said they would be interested! This is awesome, as I get get more ppls info I'll start spreading the word.

david6789
12/28/2007, 09:08 AM
Sounds great!

SurfnFish
12/28/2007, 10:50 AM
Mike, you already have my info. Location is down the street from you! Ha ha. ;-)

Brewen
12/29/2007, 02:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11469792#post11469792 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SolidDetail808
OK I started a spreedsheet and we have 11 people that said they would be interested! This is awesome, as I get get more ppls info I'll start spreading the word.
Hey Mike thanks for taking another step in getting this going. Sorry I have been quiet here been a it busy with the holidays family etc. audiowerks that is a great offer of using your shop, will it still available on the 26th of January that is the last Saturday in the month please let us know.
Please I would like to hear everyone's expectations on what they want to have happen during the first meeting. We go around and discuses individuals tanks, how you got started in the hobble. If there are any issues with your tank. With a group of us there we can discuses it to see if someone else there had the same issues and how they resolved it. Also please bring pics of your tank if you would like to show others along with a list of equipment you use.
These are just a few could be ideas please I would like to hear more ideas from others here. I should be bring pics of my tank and equipment hint hint Mike :D . I look forward to others responses here.

audiowerks
12/29/2007, 02:08 PM
I would be honored to have the first meeting at the shop. We could meet on the 26th but the shop is open until 3pm and people will be in and out. Sunday would work better, but if Sat. works better for everyone then I will make adjustments.

Brewen
12/29/2007, 06:44 PM
Hey audiowerks thanks for the response both days are good for me although I did have to check the Superbowl schedule. The 27th is the by week. Hopefully others will check in and voice up if this is a good weekend for them also.

SolidDetail808
12/29/2007, 10:30 PM
Gary,
I promise I'll come to take some photos before this GTG. I'm down for the 27th of Jan. James what you think will that work for you?

em805
12/30/2007, 10:35 AM
That date works for me :). I think having a topic to discuss is must... Perhaps sharing the biggest downfall we've each had in the hobby and how we overcame it?

rwrussom
12/30/2007, 04:54 PM
Im in for this. We definitly need an agenda.

Soliddetail - you have my info fromthe frag trade