PDA

View Full Version : Pics Of Seahore eggs

Not Enough Power
11/12/2002, 05:52 PM
well it happened, i got home from work & there they were on the floor of my refugium a cluster of eggs. i guess it is time read up on what to do with them

Not Enough Power
11/12/2002, 05:55 PM
I will get these pictures on sooner or later

Mairi
11/12/2002, 06:02 PM
HI NEP, you may as well leave them for the cleanup crew! Seahorses transfer the eggs directly from the female's ovipositor to the male's pouch.

It is likely some of the eggs made it to your boy, if you have one, so keep an eye on him. His pouch will darken and enlarge, and he may become reclusive. If so, he's probably pregnant. Keep him eating.

What species do you have? I will let you know the gestation time and nursery setup. They give birth to live fry BTW.

Not Enough Power
11/12/2002, 06:07 PM
I CAN SPELL SEAHORSE!

Not Enough Power
11/12/2002, 06:07 PM
I CAN SPELL SEAHORSE!

Will
11/12/2002, 06:12 PM
that's a pretty horse :D i don't think those eggs are from his mate though.. they look more like snail eggs or something. i do see some scary flatworms in the background though!! :eek1:
fourhand2

Mairi
11/12/2002, 06:12 PM
Hi NEP,

Wow that's a huge clump of eggs!

You have reidi, probably the most difficult species to raise :(

Can you get a closeup of the male for me?

If he is pregnant, gestation is around 14 days. You will need to set up a special nursery for them. It is called a "fishbowl" nursery by most seahorse people. Go to www.seahorse.org and do a search there under this name. There are heaps of threads on how to build them.

Basically the fry are pelagic, meaning they float in the current rather than hitching. They don't hitch for many weeks, meaning yo umust keep them suspended in a gentle circular current to aviod them getting to the surface and snicking air (fatal).

You will also need to set up a BBS hatchery. They need to be fed newly hatched BBS. More threads on this at the org.

Good luck!

Freya
11/12/2002, 06:30 PM
Hi everyone,

Fourhands2 I don't know where you are looking but those are most definately seahorse eggs. They are very unique in their appearance and easy to identify.

Going by the amount of eggs on the sand there I doubt any would have made it into the males pouch. There is a chance they did though so like Mairi said keep a very close eye on him. The eggs are only fertilised in the males pouch so those eggs on the sand will just become a protein filled snack for some lucky animal in your tank.

Often the eggs just miss the pouch when the pair don't line up properly to mate, also if they don't have enough height in the tank they can't complete the mating dance and the eggs miss the pouch completely. It can also take a bit of practise for them. Definately look up the "fishbowl nursery" as you will need to use it for reidi babies.

Goodluck!

Seahorselife
11/30/2002, 04:45 PM
Over the years I have gathered many things about seahorse mating. For one, usualy the female produces way more eggs than the male can hold. This is done to offset the error factors that occur in the wild. Predation, strong currents and tides are just a few that I can name off hand. You may have a 50/50 chance of having little ones. But my guesses you are. Good luck in the future:hmm5:

Mairi
11/30/2002, 08:11 PM
Well they would have been born by now if he was pregnant from that egg transfer, given the 14 day gestation of the reidi. But if the girl is producing eggs, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before fry are on the way!

Noonan
12/23/2002, 01:34 PM
Even if your redi had the fry, it would be difficult for you to raise them since they are the hardest fry to raise.

Good Luck.

Not Enough Power
12/23/2002, 10:43 PM
still no eggs, But the horses are doing great. I really didn't by them for breeding I just wanted to have sea horses. They are super cool species.