PDA

View Full Version : SouthDown Update

edsiajb
11/11/2002, 04:44 PM
After lots of legwork and phone calls I now have more answers regarding the Southdown sand. The closest Home Depot that can order the sand is Douglassville, GA…I guess about a two-hour drive from Bham. Anyway, does anyone want to go there to get it? I only need a few bags and it would be difficult to justify a four + hour round trip for a couple of bags. Let me know if anyone is interested…I can pass along the information I have and could possibly assist with the trip. I do have a trailer I could carry some on but would not want to carry more than 15 or 20 bags. Ya’ll let me know.

Sue_OT
11/11/2002, 09:20 PM
Do you know how much a pallet weighs? I live in GA, and Douglassville is about 1 1/2 hours from me. I have a truck, so we may be able to get it, if I can haul it.

Is it all spoken for? I know someone on the Atlanta's BB is looking for some, too.

Kalkbreath
11/12/2002, 02:19 AM
How much has it worked out per bag? $

graffyn01
11/12/2002, 12:31 PM
Sweet, I could use 2-5 bags.

twhitti
11/14/2002, 08:33 AM
I am interested in getting 5-6 bags my self (depending on Price).

Terry

edsiajb
11/14/2002, 10:37 AM
All I know is that the Douglassville store can get it and this is according to the Home Depot home office. I have not yet contacted the store to get details regarding the order because I do not have a good way to retrieve the sand from the Birmingham area.

The retail is supposed to be $3.84 per 50lb. bag and I know that a pallet is 70 bags and I believe they can get a half pallet of 35 bags. The person I spoke with indicated that there should not be additional freight charges but could not confirm.

So if someone wants contact the store in Douglassville for additional information and post it here it would be appreciated. And if someone in the Birmingham area wants to go together to get some, please let me know.

SouthDown Tropical Play Sand
SKU # 578-819
UPC # 0-210026-16865-5
MODEL # 420-100

Brad Gardner
11/15/2002, 11:38 AM
Quote:

"And if someone in the Birmingham area wants to go together to get some, please let me know"

I do not use SouthDown...but I would like to go along for the ride if we could possiblly go to Imagine Ocean and see Jenn's shop and might get some Marshall Island Rock.

reeferaddict
11/27/2002, 08:22 PM
Sorry
:rolleyes:
I'm having problems

Please keep us posted on any progress

reeferaddict
11/27/2002, 10:56 PM
sorry....i'm suffering from a multiple post syndrome
and some server problems:rolleyes:

reeferaddict
11/27/2002, 11:19 PM
I would really like about five or six bags, I'd be willing to pay a little more $per bag than retail to help make it worth the trouble for those invloved ;) Sounds like we could get this plan together
Please keep us posted on any progress

jpsx3
12/02/2002, 02:35 PM
Hi Jonathan,

I wouldn't mind having some. I also have multiple trucks with my company that we could use to haul the sand. I wouldn't mind making the trip with you if we could work out the time. If there is much demand for that sand we ought to talk to Tien and see if he wants to keep some handy. We could haul as much as anybody could ever want.:D

edsiajb
12/02/2002, 04:18 PM
Thanks Paul...maybe we should pursue this. I no longer need the sand but would possibly take a few bags for future use. I think there are still others here needing some.

biomanjcs72
12/11/2002, 10:29 AM
In should be in position after the first of the year to go get some, I may could squeeze in before new year, if need be, but the first of the year would be great.

E-mail me anything you want to ask, I live in B'ham, would drive, and can get my hands on a trailer if need be, I just don't really have a car to pull it at the moment.-

reeferaddict
01/12/2003, 03:29 AM
Any progress made yet in securing some southdown?
I'm still in;)

Icepic
01/16/2003, 09:02 AM
i have found some one selling it in mobile al

i working out a trip to go down there to get some

if any one wants some please email me before sat..
the 1/18/2003
at icepic@knology.net

for the details

jpsx3
01/16/2003, 02:48 PM
I would take a couple of bags to deepen my sand bed. I will not be back in the office untill Monday so if you want verbal confirmation by this weekend call my cell phone (365-7623)

Icepic
01/21/2003, 10:09 AM
jpsx3

i picked up your bags for ya ..

the sand is a fine grain and lok just like the
bag of agonitemax i bought from a pet store once

email to work out a exchange day

jpsx3
01/22/2003, 05:07 PM
Thanks Jeremy,

For the warning about how cloudy the sand was. I rinsed half a bag at a time in a five gallon bucket. I rinsed & stirred each batch six times and even though the water was still very cloudy when I first put it in, this afternoon it has cleared up nicely.

The sand is much finer grained than the sand I had but it is nice looking sand.

Icepic
01/22/2003, 05:33 PM
another way to help keep down the dust storm ..

place like a chunck of 3 inch pvc pipe down in the sand bed , makeing the other end stick up out of the water ,,

poor the rinsed sand into the pipe and let it sit in the pipe a bit to help it settle ,, then slowly rasie the pipe and the sand will start to poor out from the end of the pipe keep the dust storm to a minumum..

hope this help out some too

i wish the rest of you all would have got in on that south down deal i found in mobile ..

jpsx3 got two bags
and i ended up with 9 40 pound bags myself ,,, for my new tank project ..

bmilam
01/23/2003, 04:08 PM
It won't stir up as easy after it cycles. I wouldn't rinse it, the fine stuff is good. Just cycle the sand before adding your rock.

reeferaddict
03/19/2003, 12:17 PM
Anyone follow up on the southdown=yardright pursuit?;)

jadams18- If you go to get more let us know.

Thanks-:bum:

jpsx3
03/19/2003, 06:16 PM
I would still be willing to take some bags also.