PDA

View Full Version : Help with leather coral!

LoriMac
11/11/2002, 04:38 PM
I have a leather coral that was literally growing out of my tank. (75 gallon). We had read before about cutting leathers and starting new ones. My husband cut a piece off of ours, but the piece he cut seems to be doing better than the original coral. He cut a piece, and also cut down on the stem and anchored it in a rock. Our original leather is now slumped down, and is not coming out when the lights come on. (We just did this yesterday) Was this the right way to do this, and is it possible that both will survive?? Is there anything we should do now?

bgdiving
11/12/2002, 02:39 AM
Every thing sounds quite normal. The little cut pieces have an instint to survive and start a new coral colony almost as if nothing happened, while the parent colony will saulk for a while but should heal over and be good as new in a few wks. The cuttings will very likely be fairly firmly attached to their new substrate and looking very much like a small leather before the mother colony fully reinflates the stalk and any remaining cap.

As far as what to do now: best thing to do is keep the mother colony in the same location it was in asssuming it was/is getting good water flow. Or make sure it is getting good water flow.

Slumped over and shriveled up at this point is normal, what you don't want to see is brown jelly or an appearance of the coral going to mush.

Welcome to coral fragging:)