PDA

View Full Version : Finding white sand in Seattle

goldfin
11/11/2002, 02:34 PM
Does anyone know where I can find lots of cheap white sand in the Seattle area. I have enough live sand to seed a DSB, but if I move to a larger tank, I need lots of sand to be seeded. The play sand around here all seems to be black and grey. I've seen MtnDewMan's pic's of his tank and he has lots of beautiful white sand. Where do you get that? And if I can't, will the black/grey play sand work OK?

Gordo
11/11/2002, 03:33 PM
MtnDewMan's tank has Pure Caribbean Aragonite (http://www.purearagonite.com/). I think you can get this from Blue Sierra or you can order it directly from Pure Caribbean. As for play sand, some people say it's okay, but most people won't use it.

~Gordo~

goldfin
11/11/2002, 04:14 PM
Thanks Gordo.

skylsdale
11/11/2002, 05:39 PM
Cool....I was wondering this as well. Can anyone give a ballpark figure for a 40 lb. bag of Pure Caribbean Aragonite from some place like Blue Sierra?

Gordo
11/11/2002, 06:14 PM
I think they wanted almost $30 for a bag, but it could be less. Last time I was in they only had a couple of bags left. You may want to call them before you head over.

~Gordo~

mal37
11/12/2002, 07:57 AM
I've had white playsand from HD in my 40 for over a year. It is not aragonite, it is silica and / or quartz. No horrible algae or any other problems. Ton's of pods and worms from the LR. I didn't wash it either. The only coral I have in that tank is 'shrooms though, and whatever hitch hikes in.....but no disasters.

Clarks Feed and Seed in Bellingham has white aragonite sand for .99 per #. Waaaay too steep for me.

If you order from Pure Carib. post it here. There are probably folks that would go in with you. I've seen threads before. Good luck in the search.

skylsdale
11/15/2002, 06:22 PM
My sister in-law came over from Tacoma today and I had her pick up a bag of Pure Caribbean Aragonite from Blue Sierra for me. Apparently they still have quite a bit of the stuff for those of you who are interested. The exact cost (including tax) is $32.63 per 40 lb. bag. The stuff looks great, and I can't wait to dump it in!