PDA

View Full Version : Painting your tank

vanguard
01/08/2001, 10:51 PM
Friends,

I'm feeling a bit guilty about asking so many questions. I hope starting too large a percentage of the new threads isn't considered bad form. Anyway, ....

I'd like to have a black background for my 75g display tank. Can I get an expert's opinion on painting the back (outside of course) of the display tank?

I'm not really concerned about the resale value of the tank. I am concerned that the paint will look dull/ugly. I'm also concerned that it won't adhere to the glass.

Can anybody out there advise me as to whether or not this is a good idea? If it is, what kind of paint should I use? Is there any special way I should apply it?

Vanguard

Jade
01/09/2001, 12:12 AM
Hi Vanguard,
I think it is a great idea to paint the back of the tank. I also have a 75g, and I painted it with..Krylon-Interior/Exterior Acrylic Latex Enamel. That comes right off the can. I used a brush, and put on several thin coats until it was covered. Hope this helps out!!

Jegg
01/10/2001, 07:57 PM
I also used an acrilic latex enamel but but went one step further and applied 3 coats of clear urethane to waterproof in case of spills, its an option,

Totlxtc
01/11/2001, 09:26 AM
If its not already setup you can tape off the sides, etc and spray paint the back. I used Rustoleum gloss black and the backs turned out excellent. Quick and simple too, no cleanup. Just pull off tape and paper.

hughem
01/11/2001, 04:20 PM
I recommend dark tint film. It goes on easy, doesn't scratch off easily, gives a slight reflective coating.

You don't need to mask anything, it doesn't take any time to dry, doesn't stink, etc.

billzie
01/13/2001, 05:56 PM
I also agree with using acrylic latex, it dries fairly quick, cleans up easily with water, and releases lesser amounts of toxins as it cures. Don't worry about brush lines as a few coats solves this and they are inperceptable upon viewing through the tank. I don't recommend using spray cans as the clean up is greater and the overspray gets into everything; however, I did help a friend who started a new LFS paint his display tanks by spraying, b/c there were so many it was warranted and we did them out side. Using clear coats won't hurt anything, but aren't necessary. All this IMO/E. Thanks, Bill.

ReefHog
01/14/2001, 12:01 AM
I just brushed on a few coats on mine and it looks great.

Snailman
01/14/2001, 12:24 AM
We took a bit different approach on this tank. We have always painted the backs of them but this tank was to heavy to move to the painting room and back (Oceanic RR 200) It almost killed me to move it with help. We got a piece of 1/8" black acrylic and attached it to the back of the tank with clear packing tape. :)

SandM
01/14/2001, 03:00 PM
I used blue latex and didn't worry about brush strokes. I then did a second coat of green and it looks really cool. By the way, if you dont like the look, the paint will scrape off easily with a razor scrapper and no, it wont scratch the glass

SandM