PDA

View Full Version : Second LIRA Meeting, Saturday, November 23rd, located at Bay Shore, Long Island.

Corpus Callosum
11/06/2002, 11:36 PM
The second meeting in this ever-lasting attempt to achieve a Long Island reefer's club, has been scheduled for Saturday, November 23rd, 2002. The time will be around 2:00PM (EST) and latecomers will be accepted as well.

Les of Fishy Inc has been kind enough to allow us the use of his wife's dance studio. The dance studio is across the street from Les' shop and is called the Arthur Murray Dance Studio, the sign is hard to miss. The exact address of the studio is 5, 5th Avenue, Bay Shore, NY. The entrance is on Fifth Avenue and the meeting will be located upstairs. Signs will be posted in the lobby.

Les' store is located at the following address, with the following phone number incase you get lost:

Fishy, Inc.
146 W. Main Street
Bay Shore, NY 11706
631-665-7500

Once again the meeting will be located in the dance studio, which is accross the street from Fishy Inc. Nothing special is planned for this meeting other than people introducing themselves, saying hello to each other, chatting about reefs, and possibly trading frags. After the meeting / get together, everyone can take a trip accross the street to Les' shop to check it out if they haven't already, or if they are interested in doing some shopping :) .

If anyone would like to trade frags they can post what they have on this post or what they might want.

If traveling via the LIE:
Take exit 53 on the LIE to the Sagitos Parkway south, after a couple of miles the road will split, stick on the left and it will merge you with the Southern State parkway, heading east. Bear to the right because you must get off the first exit which is 42s Bay Shore. Out of the exit to the left will be an intersection with a gas station. This road is Fifth avenue, make a right at the gas station/intersection, and continue south on Fifth avenue for a while until you hit Main Street. At Main street you will want to make a left, and on the corner of the next block will be fishy inc, with the dance studio accross the street. You might as well head to the dance studio first, and check out fishy inc afterwards.

Heading from the (south) west, instead of the LIE, one can also just take southern state parkway all the way to exit 42s as mentioned above and continue with those directions down fifth avenue to main street.

If anyone else has better directions or anything to add please feel free to post them.

Everyone remember to thank Les and his wife for letting us use their facility.

Any confusion or other questions may be inquiried to sci33@optonline.net

-Mike

P.S.> an introduction thread concerning member info can be found at the following link:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=123621

DgenR8
11/07/2002, 05:59 AM
Well, This one I won't miss!
For those of you that made the first meeting, I hope you'll all be able to attend this one as well. I look forward to meeting the folks I don't know yet, especially Mike.
Thank you for your time and effort in putting this thing together, Mike!!!! :thumbsup:

Corpus Callosum
11/07/2002, 12:01 PM
Like I said, thank Les and his wife, not me.

We can discuss at the meeting what we want to do for future meetings etc.. I'll be the short pale kid.

P.S.> anyone who needs directions via LIRR can also contact me at the email above.

Stix
11/07/2002, 04:37 PM
OUCH! 2pm on a Saturday? That's nearly impossible for me. Are there ever meetings on Sundays?

JB NY
11/07/2002, 05:34 PM
I'll be there. Saturday is a much better day for me rather than Sunday, so I would rather keep the saturday thing.

Does anyone want to trade SPS frags? I've got a bunch of stuff I need to trim down.

MIKE NY
11/07/2002, 07:16 PM
Hey Guys,
I'll be there for this one too, because I usually make a stop at Les's place on Saturdays anyway:D
JB...I have some SPS frags, and lots of Xenia if anyone is interested.

Stix
11/07/2002, 07:49 PM
woot, I think I'll be able to make it afterall. I have lots of xnia sitting on my sand that I had to trim. I can't keep SPS yet but I'll take just about anything. If you don't have anythin to trade you can have thexeia anyway. Just let me know so I know how much to bring.

pyro383
11/08/2002, 02:20 PM
I will be there and I will take any free xenia that people want to get rid of. If someone teaches me how to frag, I will trade out pieces then.

jarhead
11/08/2002, 04:18 PM
I have marked my calendar and will definitelly try to make it.

SWW1268
11/09/2002, 12:31 AM
I've put this meeting in my calendar and am planning to be there as well. I'm just starting up my 20 gal, so I'm don't have much to trade. I do have green water and may have some rotifers if anyone wants some. I'd love to pick up some xenia and extra clipings that anyone has to give. Thanks.

Steve W

Corpus Callosum
11/09/2002, 08:58 AM
I will have some spaghetti macro but only enough for one person. Contact me if interested.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's gone now :)

Stix
11/09/2002, 12:00 PM
Oh yea, I could bring some grape caulerpa if anyone needs to start up a refugium. It spreads very rapidly in my fuge with 2 NO bulbs. Also, let me know. Actually, I'll bring it in a bag and if no one wants it I will throw it out since my fuge needs a trim anyway LoL.

Musipilot
11/10/2002, 01:56 AM
I'll be there, looking forward to it. I just wonder how I'll get my reef tank in the Jeep....

montepora
11/10/2002, 11:33 PM
Hi,

I will try to make it and would love to trade some frags with you people. This is what I have:

*Pink pocillipora x3 (multiple heads)
*Brown stag with green polyps (3 single branch ones and 2 multi branches )
*Purple tip valida x1 with nice branches coming out of the base
*orange monti branch small x 1
*thin branch stag, very thine but with nice branches spreading out on the tip x3
* 3 Acropora jacquelineae frags under careful watch at this time and hopefully will be OK.
* possible Montipora aquituberculata, two frags. ( I am not sure if it is the coral but looks like it)

What I am looking for?? Orange monti cap and whatever I don't have, lol!

Will have pics up next week when Mike pays me a visit. PM me or email me if you are interested.

montepora
11/10/2002, 11:35 PM
Hi,

I will try to make it and would love to trade some frags with you people. This is what I have:

*Pink pocillipora x3 (multiple heads)
*Brown stag with green polyps (3 single branch ones and 2 multi branches )
*Purple tip valida x1 with nice branches coming out of the base
*orange monti branch small x 1
*thin branch stag, very thine but with nice branches spreading out on the tip x3
* 3 Acropora jacquelineae frags under careful watch at this time and hopefully will be OK.
* possible Montipora aquituberculata, two frags. ( I am not sure if it is the coral but looks like it)

What I am looking for?? Orange monti cap and whatever I don't have, lol!

Will have pics up next week when Mike pays me a visit. PM me or email me if you are interested.

jasonchi
11/13/2002, 09:01 AM
I've frag to trade, The pictures are on my webshot site, let me know which ones you want. Can't wait, this will be my first reef meeting ever, not to mention frag trade.

pyro383
11/13/2002, 10:48 AM
I have 2 lighting systems that I would like to either sell or trade:

Fully assembled 1X 400 Watt MH and 2x 96 Watt Actinic PC Retrofit (includes PFO and CSL ballasts, 36 inch reflector, sockets, 6-month old 10,000K USHIO, will throw in 6-month old 6,500K Iwasaki bulb, PCs are 2-months old)

For this, I would like to either trade the entire thing or part out the MH. I really want to switch out the 400w for a 175. Or have 4 96w pc's

Also have a 144w JBJ pc lighting hood with 2 switches and fans, 2 actinics and 2 10k bulbs

Corpus Callosum
11/13/2002, 12:01 PM
Jason, is that table acro growing on your glass?

MikeG
11/14/2002, 05:23 PM
I have a few frags to trade too!! Should we email each other before hand or simply see what turns up? I have what i believe to be acro verweyi x3.

montepora: I may be interested in a Pink pocillipora

Happy hunting!
Mike :D

Corpus Callosum
11/14/2002, 06:29 PM
I would say you should email each other, especially if there's something in particular you might want. If you have a spare styrofoam box, I would bring that as well, to keep the bags/frags in at the meeting, plus for the ride home. Incase you haven't noticed it is cold outside.

Stix
11/14/2002, 06:49 PM
I don't see anything wrong with bringing all your frags that you wish to sell/trade. There should be enough people interested to do that. Also, since they are frags and not corals taken from the ocean, I don't see the harm in the slight risk of losing the frag (which is unlikely anyway). I'm going to bring all my frags and macro algae. Whatever I don't trade, I'll give away. (I don't have much so don't get excited) :p
-Nick

MikeG
11/14/2002, 09:52 PM
Oh yeah, as far as I can tell, the frags are from an acro verweyi colony. A pic can be found on page 227, top left of Eric Borneman's book. Mine has green polyps throughout with pink tips. My frags have been low in the tank due to space constraints so the bodies have turned a bit brown. Under intense lighting the will turn pale again soon.

Mike

jasonchi
11/14/2002, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by sci33
Jason, is that table acro growing on your glass?

I honestly have no idea. I'm very bad on identifying corals. What I do know is my corals are way crowded now, half of my corals are either fused together or killing each other for space. Note those pics are taken about a few months ago

montepora
11/15/2002, 01:07 AM
Mike G:

If I am there, sure thing, a pink pocillipora for your coral.

I forgot who wants to trade me a green monti with the orange monti I have, if I can make it, yes, I will bring the orange monti too.

WHen Mike comes to my house, he will take pics of my frags, then I will have the pics up.

Corpus Callosum
11/15/2002, 11:47 AM
Andrew, don't forget about your butterfly.

montepora
11/15/2002, 03:11 PM
Mike:

I am really attach to my semilavertus butterfly as she has been with me for a while. I am not selling her and I am going to release her back into the general population soon.

Corpus Callosum
11/15/2002, 03:39 PM
Then you must get rid of one of your angels! :D :D :D

pyro383
11/16/2002, 07:54 PM
Well, since no one jumped and helping me do my 1st frag:( get a frag for it :) then I can offer money. I can also offer my digital photo skills and camera to take pics of tanks for frags.

Here are 2 sites that I have done
http://community.webshots.com/user/pyro383
http://community.webshots.com/user/rbcorals

Musipilot
11/16/2002, 08:34 PM
Just a tip for your fraggers...I'm bringing a cooler, bags, and $$$$$

:)

montepora
11/17/2002, 12:14 PM
Guys:

I got an Annularius angel in my reef tank that is in the middle of changing its color, a beautiful specimen for sale. It is been bullie by the two other large angels I have in the tank- one emperator and the other one, a blueface. I had it for about 2 years and it is fat and healthy. It eats all the flake food and frozen food. If anyone wants it, I will either bring it to the meeting or you can come to my house after the meeting to pick it up.

I already got it out this morning and it is in my sump with my semilavertus butterfly. I am asking for $50 so let me know.

BTW, it is about 4 inches and you can see all the bands coming out as well as the brown tint on its upper body part.

fishome25
11/17/2002, 05:21 PM
montipora it was me that offered the green monti in trade, i'll bring it.

Pyro if you need help contact me, i'll see if i can help you.

pyro383
11/18/2002, 09:46 AM
fishome, sounds good, we will discuss at the mtg and see what happens after.

JB NY
11/18/2002, 04:11 PM
Ok, it's getting close to saturday. Here are pics of the colonies I'll break frags off to trade.

Frags to trade (http://www.cnidarianreef.com/frags.htm)

email me if you are interested in anything, If you have stuff to trade let me know. Trader get first dibs.

montepora
11/18/2002, 08:44 PM
JB NY:

I would love to trade with you the red millipora and purple rim monti cap. I have attach some pics for you to see what I have.

I have currently the following corals, pink pocillipora, green pocillipora, Acropora jacquelineae (2nd Pic) and sme green polyps brown stag. Let me know.

Stix
11/18/2002, 09:33 PM
Hi guys. I'm pretty new at reefkeeping and I don't want my tank to be SPS dominated. It is mainly softies and some LPS. But I do have a monti dig frag doing very well. The only other SPS I want to add to my tank ever are monti cap and bird's nest. I don't have any SPS to trade , I can only offer money. JBNY, I would like a piece of that mont cap, but again I have only money to trade.

MikeG
11/18/2002, 10:07 PM
JB NY: I have what I can to be frags from an acro verweyi colony. I posted earlier in this thread. Any interest for the green stag? Have you fraged that guy before? I bought from CC a inch frag that maybe a stag; still can't tell, all it wants to do is laminar growth.

Mike

SWW1268
11/18/2002, 10:11 PM
I've started a 20 gal recently and I'd like to pick up a little bit of sand from an established tank. Can someone bring a little bit for me?

Thanks,
Steve

Stix
11/19/2002, 09:04 AM
I can bring some sand. My tank is also fairly new but was seeded heavily with sand from 2 tanks (3+ years established) that were taken down by a couple friends. I'll bring you some. If anyone else has any to bring this would be a cool thing to trade. I'm always up for a more diverse sandbed.

Stix
11/19/2002, 06:35 PM
Oh and also, I'm looking for lights for my refugium. NO is fine, PC is better. The problem is that I have one of those home depot strip lights over it but the salt creep and splash rusted it all up in just 3 months. I'm looking for something that will rust less.

pyro383
11/19/2002, 07:00 PM
I have a 144pc, 4 bulbs, 2 10k 2 actinic with 2 fans built into hood with 2 switches

SWW1268
11/19/2002, 10:42 PM
Thanks, Stix

montepora
11/19/2002, 10:51 PM
Anyone of you locals interested in 3 250W Hamilton tar ballasts?? I also have 3 65K bulbs, 2 used for five months and one brand new. I am asking all for $300. Sorry, no sockets, you need to get that on your own.

Stix
11/20/2002, 01:33 PM
pyro, how much for the light? how long is the light? How old are the bulbs? Does it need ballasts? If so, are they included?

MIKE NY
11/20/2002, 09:31 PM
Hey Guys,
It's getting close, I hear that there might be a special guest appearance, anyway here is a list of frags I should be able to bring if anyone is interested.

monti cap...lightbrown w/purple polyps( Les has got dibs on this)
green hydnophora grandis
purple monti digitata
brown/green pocillopora damicornis
brown/green acropora millepora
xenia
green w/pink tip frogspawn (euphyllia paradivisa)
yellow poyps
encrusting gorgonian (briareum stechei)
leather (cladiella sp.)

See ya there
Mike

SWW1268
11/20/2002, 11:13 PM
I have a bottle of this Miracle Mud stuff. Is anyone interested in that?

Corpus Callosum
11/20/2002, 11:38 PM
Mike,

yeah Joe Yaiullio might be able to make the meeting. The meeting seems to be having a great turnout so far, many new faces to meet, as well as familiar ones. I say as long as your frags are healthy, just bring a bunch, whatever you dont end up trading you can just take back home.

Steve,

I run some of ecosystem's miracle mud in my refugium right now. Aside from rocks here and there, the particle size of the mud is very fine, which has somehow caused a massive amount of amphipods to multiply there. Plus it leeches iron into the tank, which helps the growth of my macro's as well as preventing caulerpa to go sexual. But anyway many people including me have switched out caulerpa for more desirable and less toxic plants such as the spaghetti macro.

fishome25
11/21/2002, 12:06 AM
i'll give you something for the mud. you got you eyes out for anything in particular?

SWW1268
11/21/2002, 09:32 AM
fishome25,

I took another look. The mud I have is the CaribSea Mineral Mud, not "miracle" mud. I don't know if there's a difference. I got it from Dr Forester awhile ago. I've used about 1 - 2 cups of it as an experiment in growing macro algae, pods, and seahorses. It worked in growing the macro, but it's so messy that I decided not to use it for the horses. So, the bottle is pretty much full. It doesn't say how much is in the bottle, but it looks like it's about 3/4 of a gallon when full. I'd say I used about 1/8 to 1/4 of it.

Anyway if you're still interested in it, I'm looking for corals. I'm just starting out in this, so I'll take any corals you want to trade with me. The more the merrier. I'm not looking for anything big. Nickel or quarter size pieces would be good. I'd like to get a variety of small pieces to try them out in my tank and see what grows.

Thanks,
Steve

fishome25
11/21/2002, 06:52 PM
on second thought i really don't need it. you can offer it to someone.

jarhead
11/21/2002, 09:08 PM
It turns out that I may not be able to make my first meeting and meet you folks. We were supposed to go to Rhode Island last weekend with some friends, but since it got rained out, the trip got rescheduled for this wekend. I am doing my rain dance as we speak :D

Corpus Callosum
11/21/2002, 09:31 PM
Let me get in touch with my R.I. contacts. I believe they charge 10 bucks per hour of rain. Let me know. sci33@optonline.net .

SWW1268
11/21/2002, 10:40 PM
fishome25,

No problem.

montepora
11/22/2002, 10:13 AM
I will definitely be there and will bring lots of frags for sale or trade. Currently, I am planning to bring at least 12 frags and 1 extra for JB NY.

I do not need the green monti so it is OK.

Can't wait to see you all.

Corpus Callosum
11/22/2002, 11:58 AM
Andrew I will bring your bucket cover to give back to you.

montepora
11/22/2002, 12:10 PM
Mike:

Noi need! See ya.

Corpus Callosum
11/22/2002, 12:16 PM
I am bringing it anyway lol. Everytime I look at it I am reminded of you - meaning I must get rid of it :D

Hey everyone I will be bringing a 1" Yellow Clown Goby for trade if anyone wants it, otherwise I'll just donate it to Les' store.

Reason I am getting rid of it:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&postid=883570

Anyone interested let me know. It's about 1" big.

http://www.nano-reef.com/sci33/PA1600113.JPG

-Mike

DgenR8
11/22/2002, 06:52 PM
Anyone interested in a small, 2 section acrylic sump/'fuge? It probably holds about 3 gals.
I'll also bring along some live sand, and I should be able to bring some zooanthids and a piece of a colt too.
Pyro, have you gotten any takers on your PC's?

Corpus Callosum
11/22/2002, 07:19 PM
Larry, since that sump is just a dry good and not livestock, you got nothing to lose by just bringing it. Then at the meeting you can see if anyone is interested.

pyro383
11/23/2002, 11:12 AM
DgenR8,

I do have someone interested but I will talk to you at the mtg about it.

pyro383
11/23/2002, 06:01 PM
Well, the meeting was great along with getting to know everyone. I want to say thanks to Les and Sci for putting this together, oh and Stix for the frags and caulerpa. Next time I will be ready with my frags.

Oh if anyone liked my pics and website, again I am willing to travel and take pics of your tanks for you. You will get 1 cd with about 130 pics for 1 frag.

Stix, upon rereading all the posts, I didn't know that you were looking for a NO strip light, I threw mine in the truck incase I heard someone say they needed it. It is a AGA glass hood with strip light 36". Maybe next time.

DgenR8
11/23/2002, 08:54 PM
Was a good time!
I left Les' store at 5:30, started acclimating at 6:30, and still have a pretty long way to go.
It was great to put faces with screen names, I hope I can remember all the faces and the names that belong to them for the next meeting :D

Thanks Mike, you did a really good thing here! :thumbsup:

SWW1268
11/23/2002, 09:31 PM
The meeting was great! It was great meeting everyone and trading stuff.

Thanks to Mike for setting it up and Les for letting us use his place.

Les' store is great too. It promises to be a great success. Good luck!

Corpus Callosum
11/23/2002, 10:37 PM
you guys can post here regarding the meeting (just so this post doesn't get too long) :

http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&postid=885618

Reefist
11/24/2002, 08:24 PM
I am so ****ed I had to miss this.Damit!!!
Tom

LongIslandReefer
11/24/2002, 09:42 PM
I wish I could have made it, but I was madly working on the cabinet for Les's 180g reef. I'll definatly make to the next one.

Corpus Callosum
11/24/2002, 10:04 PM
I was wondering who was the reefer who was working on that. Hope you join us next time Kelly. Good luck with the cabinet.

Hopefully we can get another meeting set up soon, shouldn't be hard to get a good flow of monthly meetings going.

Reefist
11/24/2002, 10:57 PM
Yeah I hope I can make the next one.Friday they excavated for an extension on my house but they couldn't get close enough so I had to jack up my house and three of us had to dig by hand all day Sat.My back is shot. I'm really upset I couldn't go I've been looking to be part of a club for years and I missed it.
I took a few pics of the demo and the escavation but I'm sure no one is interested. I mean this isn't a construction club right:p

Tom

Corpus Callosum
11/24/2002, 11:21 PM
I love construction. Email me the pics, sci33@optonline.net

I hope you were digging with shovels not bare hands.