PDA

View Full Version : Who has had a Pico for.....

MikePowell
11/24/2007, 10:19 AM
I keep on seeing peopls post threads about their pico tanks but i have not seen any about keeping them for more than a few months. has anyone keeped a pico for a long time and had it thrive? if so i would like to see some pics, because i want to start one of my own.

brandon429
11/24/2007, 04:59 PM
Hey nice to hear of a fellow pico reefer on board. I've had at least 5 of them all at 1 gallon or less that lived in between 1-3 years, the longest being a reefbowl that lived 3 years. My current reefbowl (the one on youtube titled 'reefbowl' is already 14 months old. the coralline alone was proof pudding. If you get a chance you might try to search for the snapshots, I provided timelines that show the calcifications and corals growing and being pruned. Good luck
B

PS, in my opinion and experience the #1 reason aside from hardware failures that micro reefs die is lack of water changes. Parameters such as sandbed/no sandbed and feeding choice/consistency along with stocking ratios are all the common talk, but in the end none of those even matter (within reason) as long as water changes are constant, regular and -before- any algaes or crashes happen. lazy water changes=#1 killer of picos.