PDA

View Full Version : how to feed with Cyclop-eeze

bad santa
11/22/2007, 02:28 PM
if any of you guys use Cyclop-eeze, how do you use it? Do you just pinch a small bit and put it in your tank? Do you mix a pinch in a cup of sw and use a turkey baster to target feed? I dont get it.

Rosseau
11/22/2007, 04:02 PM
I have no answers for you, only another question to add.

Does it always need to be frozen?

chujai
11/22/2007, 04:31 PM
i used that i usually have pinches, and hold on to it infront of the power head... and let it soak up and spread around the tank. i use dry stuff..

i find the frozen stuff sinks better than the dry stuff... dry stuff seem to have a lot floating up top.

Tylt33
11/22/2007, 04:32 PM
You can do either way. If you want to target feed, load it up in the baster. If you want to feed everything, just cut off a bit and spread it around. I usually get a chunk, put it in the tank to dethaw, and then spread it around a little bit.

And yes, it needs to be frozen at all times.

seapug
11/23/2007, 08:56 PM
I periodically add the frozen stuff to my other foods as a "bonus"-- it all gets shot in with a baster. Remember a little bit goes a long way. A chunk the size of a pencil eraser is more than enough for feeding all three of my tanks-- a 90, a 10 and a 28.

bad santa
11/23/2007, 09:00 PM
So you guy recommend the one thats in a clay bar type form? How about the dried flakes? How often do you feed cyclopeeze?

Rue
11/23/2007, 11:37 PM
I feed Cyclopeeze mixed in tank water with Coral Frenzy 2X a week...I target feed...using a long pipette thingy...much more precise than a turkey baster...although that works well to target feed mysis...

puckbs
11/24/2007, 12:37 AM
nice, i can finally share my cyclopeeze idea..lol

i use the frozen stuff...here's a pretty convenient trick
1) save a plastic cube tray from say, Formula One
2) defrost the cyclopeeze so it is soft enough to work with
3) spread it over the tray filling in the cubes to the size of the portion you would like...full cube, half cube....i did a tray of each

i haven't used the dried stuff, i was under the impression that frozen was better, the particulars of why I am not sure

HTH

Bernie21
11/24/2007, 01:12 AM
I use frozen Cyclo peeze!! I feed it everytime I feed my tank (which is every other day), I just get a cup of my tank water add w/ever im feeding and some frozen cyclopeeze, poor it into the tank and it goes every where!! It's good stuff!!

strayvoltage
11/24/2007, 01:32 AM
All of you are makingit a lot harder than it has to be. I just take the bar out of the freezer, unfold the end of the package, slide the bar out a couple of inches and dip it in the tank right in front of a powerhead for a few seconds. Then I lift it back out of the water let it drip off for a couple of seconds, slide it back down, fold the package end back over and put it back in freezer.

Yes it should always be froozen.

JC VT
11/24/2007, 03:09 AM
For fish I always leave it chunk form so there's not an accumulation of cyclopseez just floating around. For corals I target with a baster :)

pnguye3
11/24/2007, 09:36 AM
The frozen is much better in nutrition than the dried. I usually just take a small pinch and drop it in.

Rue
11/24/2007, 11:54 AM
I also cut a wee bit off the end of the frozen 'bar'...I use shot glasses to defrost that and whatever shrimp I'm defrosting at the same time...only takes a little time...certainly not enough to inconvenience me in any way...

bad santa
11/24/2007, 01:00 PM
great ideas guys and gals. Ill have to go out and buy the frozen bar. Does the cyclopeeze get freezer burn?

armagedon48
11/24/2007, 01:05 PM
when i used the frozen kind, i would use a knife to shave thin slices off the main bar, into a plastic bag, which i kept frozen. when i would feed with it, i would take a slice out of the plastic bag and drop it in a small cup or my feeding cup and let it thaw. then i would add tank water and poor it in or use a baster to target feed.

right now i have the freeze dried stuff. i use a little scoop to take out what i need and i put it in a cup of tank water to soak. i usually forget about it and after a few hours it is soaked and usually sinks.