PDA

View Full Version : auto feeder 29 gal

DidYouSayReefer
11/22/2007, 01:41 PM
Does anyone recommend a reliable auto feeder that can provide small feedings for only 3 fish a couple of times a day? I am afraid that some of the feeders out there will only have large feedings. What are your thoughts?

Rosseau
11/22/2007, 01:46 PM
Is it frozen/perishable food? This is an issue sometimes...

msgtk
11/22/2007, 09:09 PM
I am also interested for any advise on an auto feeder that can be adjusted for feeding amount. I've tried two models, Ehiem twin and Nutra Max 2X. I wasn't happy with either, Dr. Foster took them back and gave me a refund. Still need one only.

DidYouSayReefer
11/23/2007, 12:16 PM
What did you not like about the Ehiem? I will use a combo of flakes and pellets. I am concerned with the amount that I can feed with only having 3 fish. I don't want to overfeed. Did the Ehiem allow you to only feed a very small amount?

jvdb
11/23/2007, 01:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11237491#post11237491 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by msgtk
I am also interested for any advise on an auto feeder that can be adjusted for feeding amount. I've tried two models, Ehiem twin and Nutra Max 2X. I wasn't happy with either, Dr. Foster took them back and gave me a refund. Still need one only.

I've never used the Eheim twin before, but I'm very happy with my Eheim 3581. You adjust the amount of food with the slider on top of the food chamber. It's a very simple design, but with a little tweaking it's amazingly accurate at dispensing the same amount of flake food each rotation.

jvdb
11/23/2007, 01:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11239888#post11239888 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DidYouSayReefer
What did you not like about the Ehiem? I will use a combo of flakes and pellets. I am concerned with the amount that I can feed with only having 3 fish. I don't want to overfeed. Did the Ehiem allow you to only feed a very small amount?

The tank I use my 3581 on is a nano with only 2 fish I keep at my office. I have the slider only 1 click open (it dispenses only a very small amount of food) twice a day. I've never tried it with pellets, only flake.

msgtk
11/23/2007, 07:59 PM
I could not adjust amount. I used both flakes and pellet. I also do like having the unit sitting on top of tank. Had to move it every time I did maintenance. I also noticed that it did not supply the same amount during each feeding. It was dependent on how much food was in the specific corkscrew chamber. My tank has 2 blue hippo tangs, one clownfish, a lawnmower blenney and 3 blue-green chromis, 2 peppermint shrimp and 2 cleaner shrimp, 16 dwarf crabs, 2 turbo snails. When using pellets it over feed while the flakes seemed to underfeed.

DidYouSayReefer
11/26/2007, 11:46 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11242007#post11242007 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by msgtk
I could not adjust amount. I used both flakes and pellet. I also do like having the unit sitting on top of tank. Had to move it every time I did maintenance. I also noticed that it did not supply the same amount during each feeding. It was dependent on how much food was in the specific corkscrew chamber. My tank has 2 blue hippo tangs, one clownfish, a lawnmower blenney and 3 blue-green chromis, 2 peppermint shrimp and 2 cleaner shrimp, 16 dwarf crabs, 2 turbo snails. When using pellets it over feed while the flakes seemed to underfeed.

Are you refering to the Ehiem 3581? Why couldn't you adjust the amount? Did it not work? I don't get it. I understand that flake and pellet would despense differently. Did you find an auto feeder you did like?

jvdb
11/26/2007, 09:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11256786#post11256786 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DidYouSayReefer
Are you refering to the Ehiem 3581? Why couldn't you adjust the amount? Did it not work? I don't get it. I understand that flake and pellet would despense differently. Did you find an auto feeder you did like?

Read his previous post. He had the Eheim twin. Looks like it is totally different that the 3581 (uses screws rather than rotating chamber.) Apparently he didn't like it.