PDA

View Full Version : Which Lights

sktr021
11/22/2007, 01:42 AM
Whats an affordable option for lighting on a 20 gal tall tank?i am being told all sorts of things by all sorts of different people.im lost:confused:

Rosseau
11/22/2007, 01:54 AM
What types of corals would you like to keep?

Do you have a budget in mind?

sktr021
11/22/2007, 10:12 AM
maybe sps and softies, i really like zoas.i dont have a reeally tight budget, but i do still want to stay on the less expensive side.I also know that lighting is not the place to skimp.i was told that the Current Nova T5 would be good for my tank by my LFS.But the only problem is thats only 48 watts of daylight and 48 watts actinic.Someone suggested taking out the actinic and replacing it with another daylight bulb.but i want actinic.

GrandeGixxer
11/22/2007, 10:20 AM
After finally trying out metal halides, I am sold. I have run all differnet kinds of lighting and had good success, but nothing really compares to the mh. If you eventually want to try SPS, you will be glad you have the extra light. Even things like zoas and shrooms and other corals show a different appearance under the right mh lighting. I am supplementing my 10k reeflux bulbs with 2x39 T5 actinics. I love it.

Rosseau
11/22/2007, 10:51 AM
If my source is trustworthy, a 20G tall tank is 20" wide.

You'll have a hell of a time trying to find T5's less than 24" long.

Since you are showing even a little interest in SPS and your budget is somewhat flexible I would definitely find a metal halide system.

Personally, I would not go any less than 150W with a 24" deep tank (water column).

Kaos
11/22/2007, 11:17 AM
I would also go w/ the MH's. I've had PC's, VHO's, and MH's and my favorite is the MH's. With the size of your tank and the depth, I think MH is your best option. Food for thought: If you like a bluer tank get a 400w MH system. This way you can have the same PAR as a 250w 10K w/ a 400w 15-20K bulb. No matter if you choose 250w or 400w I would go w/ a pendant and a fan (and maybe a chiller depending on house temp., distance above water, etc.). An ATO is a must also. My 10gal. reef has a 175w MH pendant above it (<4" off the water) along w/ a fan controlled by my ACjr. and my temp. never varies more then .75*, but I keep my house in the low 70's. My tank also evap's about a third of a gallon a day.

sktr021
11/22/2007, 11:50 PM
i thank you for your help, although as of ten minutes ago i found an aquapod 24 stocked for 250 that i am going to look in to.if i do buy this aquaod will i need to upgrade the lighting?i believe it is stock, i am not sure of the details quite yet