PDA

View Full Version : BC29-what are your thoughts?

ReefCresteds
11/19/2007, 11:17 AM
OK-I would like some input as to what people would suggest for my new nano setup.
I currently bought a BC29 from an individual. This is my first nano. I have 3 other large reef tanks running into one sump but this whole nano thing is new to me.
Currently I have ~ 30 lbs of lr in the 29 gal. no skimmer yet. I just have the standard 64Ws of lighting on the nano.
I guess my questions are this:

1. what should I do w/ the 2nd chamber in the BC29. should I go skimmer or lr and if skimmer-what kind?

2. should i run carbon? i don't on my large setup-but I'm unsure what you guys think in the nano

3. any other suggestions as to flow?

4. what bulbs do you recommend-just the coralife or is there something that is better/brighter :)
Currently I'm just thinking of keeping mainly softies and a few
lower light lps.

thanks for your comments-I appreciate them!

reefman13
11/19/2007, 11:32 AM
Skimmer wise, I would wait till like the 1st of January to hear some reviews on the new Euro-Reef nano skimmer.

A lot of people will turn one of the chambers (1st or 2nd) into a refugium.

Carbon is great if you have space after doing the refugium, and skimmer mods.

In the second chamber people will sometimes scrape of the black paint on the back, and attach a light so it hangs down, and then put a small DSB and a clump of cheato.

Flow wise, if you haven't already, upgrade the stock pump to either a MJ900 or an MJ1200. For in tank flow, I would go with one of the Koriala pumps.

ReefCresteds
11/19/2007, 11:43 AM
thanks for your thoughts.
Yea that's what i was wondering about on the fuge for the 2nd chamber-how does it get any light?
as the tank is set up it wouldn't get enough light w/o scraping the paint would it?
so the pump upgrade would obviously be for the return. would this be a temperature concern as far as heating up the water too much?
i currently took out the bioballs in the 2nd chamber so I'm running w/ nothing in the 2nd chamber.