PDA

View Full Version : how to transfer to my new tank

everl0ng
11/18/2007, 05:36 PM
right now i have a 10g with 20lbs LS, and about 20-25lbs LR. i have a 150w sunpod and a 2 koralia nanos as well as a mj1200 with hydor flow deflector and an ac70 fuge mod. well i am going to be ordering my AP24 tank only from nanotuners on friday. i am also going to order new sand from marinedepot because i like the flamingo reef sand. my question is that i really hate the rock i have now because it is not very porous at all! when i get my new tank set up i would like to order new LR. i plan on putting a piece or two of my current LR in there as well as a scoop of my current LS to seed the new tank. now i found a site that has 25 lbs of Eco Rox (dry fiji base rock) for 64.00. i like the idea of dry rock because it is free of anything living that may be unwanted, but also anything beneficial. would it be possible to order that rock, seed it and the new sand with lr and ls from my current tank and then wait for the cycle before adding my current livestock of 3 crocea clams and an ocellaris? or shoud i go the best route and order fully cured rock and then just swap everything?it would be really nice to be able to just swap everything into the new tank when it arrives, but im looking for the best option since this will be my first time upgrading tanks, and i want to do it correctly. thank you guys for reading and taking your time to help me. i really appreciate it.

everl0ng
11/18/2007, 05:39 PM
i also REALLY like the idea of the dry base rock because it will be free of pyramid snails that would prey upon my clams. since the rock i have in there now was dry before i started i don't have anything unwanted in my tank so far.

stevelkaneval
11/18/2007, 06:06 PM
i wouldnt take any sand from your other tank it might upset the ditrius and release something into your new tank and no lr is fully cured no matter what they say unless it is shiped in water because there will be die off same as if you took it out of water and drove across town there will be die off if you want a real answer no offense to anyone but you should go to www.aquariumpros.com (http://www.aquariumpros.com) and ask them i am doing the same thing and they said useing sand and water from my tank wont do anything it might infact hurt it obviusly you do water changes to export waste so theres my .02

Agu
11/18/2007, 07:12 PM
Reusing your rock depends on the condition of the rock. if it's infested with hair algae, hydroids, aiptasia, etc it's usually easier to eliminate the problem rock when moving the tank. If it's clean and cured why not reuse it ? You'll still probably want additional rock anyway and the dry base rock you mention should be fine.

Same with the water. Your corals are already used to the parameters. A quick change even for the better can shock and injure corals.

I'm not a fan of moving sandbeds of any depth. However I selectively scoop out sand wherever I see life forms to seed the new sand.

my $.02

everl0ng
11/18/2007, 07:21 PM
yeah i have a lot of hair algae on 2 of the rocks i have now, so i think i will just get the base rock and seed it witht he few good pieces i have currently. since i started with dry rock in the first place i will probably scoop out a little sand and seed it because in the beginning i didnt have any pods since everything was dry. i will probably take a scoop and throw it into my ac70 fuge mod to get some pods established in my new set up.

GrandeGixxer
11/18/2007, 08:41 PM
When I moved everything over to my new tank, I rinsed the old sand out in tap water. Then I did a final rinse in RODI. For my refugium sand, I pretty much just transfered it over. if it is pretty thin, it is not as much of a problem. You start running into problems when you try to move a deep sand bed. Good luck with the move.