PDA

View Full Version : Please help me find a 12 gallon nano

Dakini
11/18/2007, 01:31 PM
My son is away at college and would like a 12 gallon nano for Christmas. (there's a 10 gallon limit in the dorms, LOL) He'd like a set up with decent lights, could someone with nano experience recommend a tank for me to buy for him? And where the best place to purchase it would be?

THANK YOU

InLimbo87
11/18/2007, 01:38 PM
Aquapod 12g w/ 70w HQI's are on crazy sale at Dr Foster's

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=13976&Nty=1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=All&N=2004&Ntt=aquapod&Np=1

Amazing deal... The light alone is usually more than that. Get em while they're hot though because I believe they've discontinued this package from the manufacturer.

Dakini
11/18/2007, 02:13 PM
Thank you!

Your tank looks beautiful, btw.

InLimbo87
11/18/2007, 02:37 PM
Thank you :D

Are you going with that setup then?

Dakini
11/18/2007, 02:43 PM
I've been trying to reach DS and run a number of the potential tanks by him, I'm sure he's asleep right now. :rolleyes: I know it won't be much of a surprise that way, but I'd rather it be what he really wants.

Mini Me6
11/18/2007, 09:54 PM
SW tank in a DORM will cost you big bucks $$$$$. Unless you have $$$ to throw in the garbage.

1) College recess, christmas, spring, fall, tank relocation.
2) It is a COLLEGE (beer in the tank):rollface: . Lack of general care (exams, girls, parties):eek1: .

I've been there and done that. If your willing to shell out the $$$ then go for it. Just my oppinion.

I wish your son does well in his new school.

stevelkaneval
11/18/2007, 10:05 PM
i had a 12 gallon nano 70w hqi and let me tell you it totally wasnt worth it well it was for the first couple of weeks (it was a panty droper) but i would never do it again it got bumped,my roomate got drunk and said hey will that colorefull peice of coral eat pizza? i got over that but then there was the neglect i know this isnt what you wanted to hear but it is the truth but like mini me 6 said if you want to wast the cash go ahead or you could just give me the money becouse if you give him a sw tank in college that is basicly what you will be doing donnating to the garbage but if you do do it keep me in mind when he gets sick of it or it crashes due to neglect i love free stuff

Dakini
11/18/2007, 11:00 PM
No worries, he's decided he wants to do a planted nano, maybe
the JBJ 12 deluxe. There's a Amano store about an hour drive north of his campus, now as long as he doesn't decide he needs a CO2 tank......

madamo
11/19/2007, 12:42 AM
Believe me... I am an MBA student and I still manage to care for my reef tank. I think it is a great idea because I just asked for the same thing for Christmas. Moving the tank is not an issue, especially with coral. Just save all the water.

[I think this sentence is much easier to read with periods].

ckprax
11/19/2007, 02:41 AM
I am in college and have on reef tank and am cycling my FO, its not too bad except for when I have exams but I still manage to keep up on wc , feedings and such. I say go for it, i find it to be a great way to relax when I need a break from studying and hw. I just make it very clear to my friends and room mates that this tank is worth a lot of money and they can't afford to screw it up, and i am able to lock my door during parties so strangers can't touch it. Also moving a tank that small is not too big of a deal. just my $.02