PDA

View Full Version : Lighting selection

grouper25
11/15/2007, 09:39 AM
I am starting a 20 gallon H tank which will be totally dedicated to coral as my 220 with fish does not allow this. I will be using a Fluval 304 cannister and have bought a Corallife HOB protein skimmer. The missing piece is what lights to buy. I have a huge T5 set-up on my 220 and would really like to try MH on the smaller tank just for the shimmer effect which the T5's dont provide. I have looked at a few(Sunpod, Current) yet cant decide. While I want halide(s), I dont want a chiller either so thats a consideration as well. Perhaps a lower wattage, say 150 vs. 250, would be the way to go, although I am concerned that it might melt my HOB skimmer. Coral selection will be mostly soft although I will also add some sps as well . Can anyone give me a recomendation on a lighting system for this tank set-up. Thanks

sir_dudeguy
11/15/2007, 10:01 AM
I will be using a Fluval 304 cannister

I'd not use the canister. Just gonna cause more problems than it helps in the longrun. They can build up nitrates very easily, which you sure dont want in a reef. Only way i'd use the canister is if you fill it with liverock or carbon.

As for lights, i'd go with the 150. I see lots of people putting 250's on this size tank, but thats completely not necessary. I'm thinking most of those people already had a 250 laying around and didnt feel like buying another one. 150 would be plenty to grow whatever

Giga
11/15/2007, 10:34 AM
/\ 100% agree
l

grouper25
11/15/2007, 11:08 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11187561#post11187561 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sir_dudeguy
I'd not use the canister. Just gonna cause more problems than it helps in the longrun. They can build up nitrates very easily, which you sure dont want in a reef. Only way i'd use the canister is if you fill it with liverock or carbon.

As for lights, i'd go with the 150. I see lots of people putting 250's on this size tank, but thats completely not necessary. I'm thinking most of those people already had a 250 laying around and didnt feel like buying another one. 150 would be plenty to grow whatever

So noted. I was planning to place live rock rubble i the canister anyway and nothing more except carbon from time to time. Gives me both flow and some biologic filtration at same time. I tend to agree on the 150 watts as well.

Thanks