PDA

View Full Version : CPR HOB Aquafuge with PS

mikellini
11/14/2007, 10:11 PM
Does anyone have this? Is it worth it, or are there any other HOB fuges with a skimmer I should look into? I wanted to get the Sapphire aquatics one but I found out it is discontinued... I kinda like it, and I think I can get an OK deal on one, but I want to be sure it's worth the money.

I don't have any room for a real sump/fuge, that's why I'm going this route

The Saltwater Kid
11/16/2007, 07:42 PM
A friend has this on his 55g tank and it works very well for him. The skimmer is kind of a dog in stock form but he read how to do a pump mod for the skimmer and now it skims decent and he has a heavily stocked mixed reef tank. I had the smaller AquaFuge on my old standard 29g and it worked beautifully. I would say go for it!

mikellini
11/21/2007, 07:29 PM
bump

Hypertek99
12/23/2007, 10:01 PM
Anyone else have the CPR Refugium with skimmer??? I have just the small aquafuge but i'm thinking of getting the skimmer version.

KCZoanthid
12/23/2007, 10:20 PM
I have the large Aquafuge2 PS with built-in skimmer. It's on my little 30g high mixed reef. I LOVE it.

It comes with a Maxi-Jet 1200 powerhead. That PH is rated at about 300GPH. I felt it was too fast for my refugium, so I replaced it with a MJ 900. Those are rated at 230GPH. Much better now.

I think the skimmer works great!! If this is a "dog" skimmer--I'd love to see an awesome skimmer. I don't have a large of bioload in my tank, but I think the skimmer does a fantastic job.

Original by The Saltwater Kid:
The skimmer is kind of a dog in stock form but he read how to do a pump mod for the skimmer and now it skims decent

Could you tell me about this pump mod? I wouldn't mind trying it if it will make the skimmer even better.

I am using the CPR 24W PC light on my fuge. Works good. I put about 10-12lbs of sand in my refugium. That makes about 5" DSB in there. I run cheato in there too.

I started out with the medium Aquafuge2. The one without a skimmer. It works good too, but my in-tank skimmer was taking up too much space in the tank and it was releasing too many microbubbles. I took it off and replaced it with the bigger one with the skimmer. Love it!!

herostar
12/25/2007, 03:37 AM
Does anyone have a problem with microbubbles using these?

KCZoanthid
12/25/2007, 05:41 PM
A few microbubbles will get out of the skimmer portion and into the refugium. But they will dissipate long before they get to the return pipe.

You WILL probably get some larger bubbles from the return pipe where it dumps back into the tank. No way to avoid it. But, since they are large, they will rise up to the surface and pop quickly.

Honestly, I don't EVER want to use an in-tank or HOB skimmer again. The skimmer in these refugiums works great and it's really convenient to have it built in.

These refugiums WILL release some microbubbles into the tank for about a week. It takes a bit for the skimmer to break in. After that--smooth sailing.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/583/168043NewRefugium_a___WinCE_.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/583/168043NewRefugium_d___WinCE_.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/583/168043NewRefugium_c___WinCE_.JPG

charleskeller
12/30/2007, 09:24 AM
I just purchased a CPR HOB Refugium w/skimmer. I got the small version. I am planning to use it on my 10g nano. I'll try to remember and post some pics when it's done if you would like.

herostar
12/30/2007, 05:47 PM
That wold be great! What are the dimensions of it?

charleskeller
12/30/2007, 11:20 PM
AquaFuge2™ PS Small
Water Capacity: 3.6 Gallons
Dimensions: 19 1/4" L x 4" W x 15" T
Product Code: AF2PSS

I have to order some Refugium Mud and a new seal for the input. It should be about a week or so when I have it ready. I just hate that is is all in the back and you can't see it.